This hearty Grilled Veggie Sub: the perfect packable sandwich or party hoagie option! Toasted ciabatta bread is full of roasted peppers, grilled zucchini, and a homemade sun-dried tomato pesto for a filling, healthy, and delicious meal. Ready in under 30 minutes!
For sun-dried tomato pesto:
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil and drained)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan (recipe for cashew parm here)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup basil or parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the grilled vegetable marinade:
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
For the rest of the sandwich:
- 1 zucchini, sliced thinly into strips
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 portobello mushroom, cleaned, de-stemmed, and sliced into strips
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced in half lengthwise (like a bun)
- 2 cups salad greens, like arugula or baby kale
- 1/4 cup hummus
- First, make sun-dried tomato pesto by combining sun-dried tomatoes, nuts, and parm in a blender, pulsing to combine. Stream in oil. Add one cup herbs and salt and finish processing until a thick paste forms (it will be chunkier than usual pesto). Set aside. There is a video below for this, for reference!
- Combine ingredients for marinade in a large rectangular resealable container. I use a Stasher bag. Set aside.
- Wash and slice all vegetables. Add to marinade container and shake to coat. Let sit for at least 15 minutes (up to 2 hours). Preheat your grill, grill pan, or a cast iron skillet over medium high.
- Slice your ciabatta loaf (feel free to toast it if you’re using a full size grill). Spread one side of the sandwich thickly with pesto. You will likely use all of it, depending on the size of your ciabatta.
- Proceed to grill vegetables to your liking, about 3-5 minutes per side, until char marks appear.
- Assemble rest of sandwich by topping pesto-covered bread grilled veggies, and salad greens. Spread hummus on the non-pesto side of the loaf. Press halves together firmly and slice into 4-6 personal sandwiches.
This recipe will keep covered in the fridge for four days. Toasting it in a panini press to reheat is not necessary but a fun idea!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One sandwich
- Calories: 368.4 calories
- Sugar: 7.9 grams
- Sodium: 741.1 milligrams
- Fat: 17.2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.7 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 45 grams
- Fiber: 4.3 grams
- Protein: 10.1 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: sandwich, sub, panini