This recipe for Vegan Whipped Sweet Potatoes is as colorful as it is delicious! Using orange, white, and purple sweet potatoes, this fluffy side dish is flavored with nutty brown butter and a wonderful addition to any holiday table.
- 2 orange sweet potatoes, medium size
- 2 white sweet potatoes, medium size
- 2 purple sweet potatoes, medium size
- 9 TBS vegan butter, melted and divided
- 3 cups of plain unsweetened nondairy milk, divided
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- Toppings of choice: parsley, green onions, chives, walnuts, pomegranate, etc.
- First, wash all potatoes and slice into equally sized chunks (smaller will cook faster).
- To prepare in the microwave: add to a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 4 minutes. Rotate, and cook 4 minutes more, until soft. To prepare on the stovetop: separate potatoes by color and add to three small pots (or just do one at a time!). Cover with cold water, add a dash of salt, and bring to a gentle boil. Let cook for 10-14 minutes, until a fork can easily pierce through the flesh. Let each portion cool once cooked.
- To whip the first group of potatoes, add to a food processor along with 3 TBS melted butter and 1/4 tsp salt. Let process while streaming in 1 cup of milk. The mixture should be very silky and smooth (as pictured above).
- Remove from the food processor and repeat this with each of the remaining two groups of potatoes. If you are working with just one color, I still recommend doing this in segments as it can be a lot for the processor to manage at once.
- To serve, plate with toppings of choice and drizzle with more melted butter if desired. See recipe notes for storage and make-ahead tips.
To make this recipe in advance: boil the potatoes and whip with butter, salt, and milk, until creamy. Store in a sealed contained in the fridge for up to four days.
To freeze: Place in a freezer safe bag and squeeze to remove all air. Store for up to 6 months. You will want to add more milk you you reheat them, to rehydrate.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: Whipping
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One eighth of recipe
- Calories: 208 calories
- Sugar: 4.4 grams
- Sodium: 445.3 milligrams
- Fat: 12.2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 9.1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.1 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 21.3 grams
- Fiber: 2.6 grams
- Protein: 2.1 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: sweet potato