This flexible recipe for a flaky galette works with any kind of berry! With the BEST flaky pie crust, we’re using fresh berries for a rustic-inspired dessert that is perfect for a spring or summer table. Easy to make with simple ingredients, totally dairy-free and vegan!
- 1 and 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup + 2 TBS COLD unsalted vegan butter like Miyokos (or regular butter if not vegan )
- 2 TBS cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 cups berries of choice, sliced if larger (I used frozen blueberries and cranberries here)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, salt, and flour together. Dump onto a clean work surface and grab a rolling pin or large, flat-sided glass. Remove butter from the fridge. Carefully cut your butter into long rectangular pieces crosswise and pile on top of the flour mixture. Carefully but quickly begin rolling your butter into your flour so that long strips form on your work surface. A sturdy spatula will help keep things together. Add 3 TBS ice water while rolling our so that your water helps bring things together. Your mixture will be sticky but that’s OK! Try not to add too much extra flour as this will make the crust tough. If things are still not coming together, add one more TBS ice water.
- Using your spatula, shape your dough into a rectangle on the work surface. Moving from the left side of the dough, fold 1/3 of it inwards on top of itself. Do the same with the right side. Imagine you’re folding a piece of paper. Rotate the dough 90 degrees, sprinkle with a bit of flour and roll into the originally shaped rectangle. Repeat this once more. This is where our “layers” of butter are really built out.
- The dough should be fairly cohesive but if it’s still a little sticky that’s OK, things will firm up a lot while chilling. Wrap in plastic or reusable wax paper and place in the fridge. Let chill at least one hour or up to overnight.
- While your dough is chilling, it’s time to make the filling. Combine corn starch, salt, lemon zest, sugar, and berries in a medium sauce pan with 1/2 cup water to start. Cook berries down over medium heat, stirring, so that they become a thick paste. It should take about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, then stir in lemon juice, vanilla extract, and optional almond extract. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove your now-chilled dough from the fridge, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and carefully roll into a rough 8 x 12 oval. It is fine if the edges look irregular. Pile berries inside the center of the dough, leaving a 1 inch perimeter free of filling. Fold edges of dough over the fruit. Carefully brush crust edges with coconut milk. Sprinkle entire galette with sugar and bake for 15 minutes at 375 F. Rotate the pan in the oven and lower temperature to 350 F. Bake for 25-35 more minutes, or until the crust is nice and golden brown. Serve warm or cool with yogurt, whipped cream, or ice cream.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chilling time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: One eighth of recipe
- Calories: 330 calories
- Sugar: 16.8 grams
- Sodium: 410 milligrams
- Fat: 18.5 grams
- Saturated Fat: 14.1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.4 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 39.1 grams
- Fiber: 3.8 grams
- Protein: 2.9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: pie crust, dough, pastry