Get dinner ready in 10 minutes with this easy microwave pasta: Cacio e Pepe ! Totally vegan and easily gluten-free, this affordable meal is great for a busy weeknight.
For the Pasta
- 1 cup small pasta of choice (macaroni or bowties work well)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to serve
- 1/2 cup frozen peas or corn, optional
- Vegan butter or olive oil for serving, optional
For the Cashew Parmesan
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 TBS nutritional yeast
- Pinch salt
- Add noodles, water, and salt to a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 8 minutes total, stirring every 2 minutes. Test pasta after 8 minutes. If it still feels uncooked, add a minute more cook time until desired texture is reached. Microwave strength varies.
- While pasta is microwaving, combine all cashew parmesan ingredients in a blender and pulse to combine until a powder forms. You will have leftover parm to use in other recipes. Set aside.
- If desired, add in 1/2 cup frozen peas or corn during the final minute of pasta cooking.
- Remove pasta from microwave and drain until just a couple TBS of water remain in the cooking bowl. Add 1/2 cup cashew parmesan and stir vigorously to combine.
- Crack some fresh black pepper over pasta and enjoy immediately. If desired, top with vegan butter or olive oil.