This recipe for Crispy Orzo with Peas and Garlic Butter is a perfect pantry meal that is packed with flavor and so comforting! Ready in just 15 minutes, it’s a family-friendly healthy weeknight dinner that everyone will love. Totally vegan with gluten-free options!
- 1 can coconut milk (or just use more water)
- 1.5 cups orzo
- Salt (used throughout)
- 3 TBS butter, plant-based if needed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2–3 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- .5 cups cashew parmesan (or regular parm)
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Begin by adding coconut milk to a large pot with 4 cups of water. Bring this mixture to a boil. Add orzo and a big pinch of salt, stir, and let cook until al dente (6-7 minutes for regular pasta). Drain and set aside without rinsing*.
- While orzo is boiling, heat butter in a cast iron skillet over medium low. Add garlic and stir until foamy, about 1 minute. Add orzo on top of garlic butter and spread to coat the entire bottom of the pan, going up the sides as needed. Pack down a bit with the back of your spoon, creating as even of a layer as possible. Cook, undisturbed for 5 minutes. This is when the majority of the crisping happens.
- Lift up a bit of the rice to check for browning. Add olive oil, peas, and parmesan. Stir orzo so that the opposite side can begin crisping. Let cook for at least 4 more minutes, until browned throughout but not burnt.
- Remove from heat and toss in fresh parsley, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Serve hot.
I prefer small clumps in my pasta while it crisps. If you would prefer individual grains of orzo, I recommend rinsing the pasta here to remove excess starch.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 326 calories
- Sugar: 2.3 grams
- Sodium: 212 milligrams
- Fat: 20.2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 16.3 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 29 grams
- Fiber: 3.4 grams
- Protein: 7.1 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: orzo, pasta, dinner, pantry, garlic, peas