This Grapefruit Poppyseed Loaf Cake Recipe is easy to make and a perfect winter dessert! Topped with a bright pink citrus icing, it’s a fragrant olive oil-based cake that’s full of bright flavor. Totally vegan and made in a loaf pan!
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup greek-style yogurt, non-dairy if needed
- 2 TBS poppyseeds
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice (from about 1/2 large)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or soy)
- 1 cup organic raw sugar
- 1–2 TBS grapefruit zest, optional
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 TBS grapefruit juice
- 1 TBS cranberry juice (for color, feel free to sub with more grapefruit juice)
For optional topping:
- Candied ginger
- Dried culinary-grade rose petals
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a loaf pan* (the standard size is 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches) or line with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, yogurt, poppyseeds, grapefruit juice, milk, sugar, zest, and vanilla extract. Set aside. In a smaller bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Carefully combine wet and dry ingredients, taking caution to not over mix but also insuring that all flour is hydrated.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Poke with a knife to check for doneness. No crumbs should stick to the knife once inserted.
- Let cake cool completely in the pan. While cake is cooling, whisk ingredients for glaze in a small bowl. Drizzle on top of cake and sprinkle optional toppings, if using. Cake will keep for up to 5 days on the counter, covered.
I used a glass loaf pan because that’s what I have. If you also have this, be aware that it will take longer to heat up and will continue cooking after it’s removed from the oven. If you are using an aluminum pan, you may want to bake for a shorter amount of time (begin checking at 45 minutes).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice of ten
- Calories: 368 calories
- Sugar: 29.9 grams
- Sodium: 254 milligrams
- Fat: 17.4 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 15 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 49.9 grams
- Fiber: 1.2 grams
- Protein: 4.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: grapefruit, olive oil, poppyseed, loaf, cake, citrus, glaze