This Grilled Sweet Potato Salad with Minty Lime Dressing and Crispy Farro is a summer winner! Ready in under 20 minutes, it’s a perfect pack-along recipe for a picnic or summer cookout.
For grilled sweet potatoes:
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, about 5 small/medium
- Avocado oil, or other neutral, high-head oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp cumin, optional
For Chili Lime Yogurt Dressing:
- 1 cup plain vegan yogurt, like Kite Hill
- Juice of one medium lime
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or red pepper flake (optional if you don’t like spice)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, cilantro, or mint
- Salt and pepper
For salad base:
- 1/2 cup leftover cooked farro, cooked rice, or nuts/seeds of choice
- 1 TBS avocado oil
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- Begin by washing the sweet potatoes (no need to peel). Slice them into medium sized wedges about 1-2 cm wide, trying to get each in a relatively similar size and shape. Add to a large bowl and drizzle with a few TBS of neutral oil, tossing to coat. Sprinkle on 1 tsp salt, few twists of black pepper, and cumin if using.
- Heat a grill to high (if you do not have access to a grill, see notes). Lay sweet potatoes down on grates and let cook for 4-6 minutes, until char marks form. Flip and cook a few more minutes on the other side. You want to ensure they are fully cooked through, and depending on their specific positioning on the grill this could take some time.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, add yogurt, lime juice, cayenne/red pepper, chopped herbs, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a blender. Add some water to thin to your liking. I normally add at least 1/2 cup water to get something nice and saucy (which helps coat the potatoes later). Set aside.
- If you’re making crispy farro, add it to a lined baking sheet and toss with neutral oil. Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes, until you hear small popping noises. Remove and let cool (it will harden more out of the oven). If you are using nuts, coat with a bit of oil until lightly browned and fragrant – about 5-7 minutes. They can burn easily! Set aside.
- To assemble salad, plate sweet potatoes on a platter and drizzle with dressing to coat (you may have some left over). Sprinkle crispy farro on top and then add chopped herbs. Serve immediately. Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for a few days.
If using an oven: Preheat it to 400 degrees F and add the sweet potatoes to a lined baking sheet.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 197.8 calories
- Sugar: 4.4 grams
- Sodium: 387.7 milligrams
- Fat: 9.2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26.2 grams
- Fiber: 4.3 grams
- Protein: 3.9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: sweet potato, grilling, grilled sweet potato