This Creamy Pesto Potato Salad is the perfect picnic side and summer holiday dish! Made with crispy roasted potatoes and a simple basil pesto, it’s a breeze to throw together and a great pair for burgers, grilled vegetables and more. No mayo needed!
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup pre-made pesto (see note for homemade version)
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- Sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- Flaky salt to garnish, optional
- Lemon wedges to serve, optional
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. Line one large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper, if you have them. Slice potatoes into 1 inch cubes, as evenly as possible so they cook at the same rate. Add potatoes to the large baking sheet and generously drizzle with olive oil, tossing to coat.
- Roast potatoes for 20 minutes, remove from oven and flip to encourage even browning. Roast for 15-20 minutes more, until golden brown. Remove from oven to cool. Add to a large bowl and toss with a generous pinch of salt.
- Toss the potatoes with ¾ of the pesto to coat evenly. Add chopped parsley and stir once more.
- Serve potatoes in a medium bowl with remaining ¼ cup pesto, adding the sauce in a few locations on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and flaky salt if using. Serve with lemon wedges on the side for additional brightness.
- If you’d like to make your own pesto, add 1/2 cup walnuts to a food processor with a large pinch of salt and one large (peeled) garlic clove. Process to combine. Add 1/2 cup parmesan (vegan as needed) and pulse once more to incorporate. Stream in a bit of lemon juice. Top the processor with two heaping cups of fresh basil (leaves only). While the processor is running, stream in as much olive oil as needed to form the desired texture (it’s often more than you think).
- Nutrition information calculated using Trader Joe’s Vegan Cashew Pesto
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Side
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 335 calories
- Sugar: 1.4 grams
- Sodium: 840 milligrams
- Fat: 31 grams
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 26.1 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 12.7 gram
- Fiber: 1.7 grams
- Protein: 3.2 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: pesto, potatoes, cookout