Vegan Rosé Pasta with Broccolini is a perfect summer meal! Enjoy this tomato cashew cream sauce, splashed with lively rosé wine, for a simple dinner (ready in under an hour) that feels restaurant-quality.
- 2/3 cup cashews
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 large shallots, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried basil or oregano
- 28 oz. high quality crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup rose wine
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce, (coconut aminos if gluten-free)
- 1 pound short pasta of choice
- One large bunch broccolini (or broccoli, green beans, kale, collards, or chard)
- Fresh basil or parsley to garnish, cashew parmesan for serving
- Add your cashews to a bowl and cover with 1 cup of hot water. Soak for 15 minutes.
- We will next begin sauce. In a large sauce pan, heat 3 TBS olive oil over medium. One hot add shallots, stir, and sauté for 5 minutes until translucent. Add minced garlic, red pepper flakes, a dash of salt and pepper, and 2 tsp dried basil. Stir for 30 seconds more. Add in tomatoes and wine, bring to a boil, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, covered.
- While this is simmering, add cashews (and their soaking water) to a high-speed blender along with nutritional yeast, lemon juice, soy sauce (or aminos), and another few twists of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth (this is our “cream”). Set aside.
- Boil some water for pasta in another large pot. Prepare according to package directions. 3 minutes before finished cooking, add in broccolini. Drain pasta and set aside, reserving a bit of the pasta cooking water to add to the finished dish as needed.
- Add cashew cream to sauce pot, stirring completely. Remove from heat. Add in pasta with veggies and stir to coat. Add the reserved cooking water if things are a bit dry. Serve hot with more red pepper flakes, cashew parmesan, and fresh basil.
To make cashew parmesan: Pulse in a food processor 1 cup raw cashews, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 3 TBS nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt. Stored in a sealed jar in the fridge for a few months.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: One sixth of recipe
- Calories: 310 calories
- Sugar: 8.6 grams
- Sodium: 527 milligrams
- Fat: 9.8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.2 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 42 grams
- Fiber: 6.4 grams
- Protein: 11.9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams