Thai Pumpkin Curry is a quick, easy to make, 1-pot recipe that is made with fresh pumpkin cubes, vegetables, red curry paste, and coconut milk. It is a hearty, delicious, and comforting vegan dinner!
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Sea salt, used throughout
- 2 TBS fresh ginger, grated
- 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1–2 red bell peppers
- 3–4 TBS red curry paste
- 4 cups cubed sugar pumpkin or butternut squash
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 TBS maple syrup
- 1 TBS soy sauce (sub coconut aminos for gluten free)
- 1–2 cups chopped broccoli, optional
- 1 cup chopped kale, optional
- 2–3 TBS fresh lime juice
- For serving: cooked rice or quinoa, Thai basil, cilantro
- Add coconut oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add shallot and sauté for a few minutes until lightly browned. Add salt, fresh ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Stir 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add bell peppers and curry paste, stirring to coat. Let cook for 1-2 minutes then add squash.
- Pour in coconut milk, maple syrup, and soy sauce. If your vegetables are not fully submerged, add a cup or so of water. Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Once simmering, reduce head to low and cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until squash is tender and cooked through.
- Remove lid and add broccoli and kale. Let cook about 3 more minutes then remove from heat. Stir in lime juice. Taste and season to your preference, adding more salt, curry paste, or lime juice. Serve with rice or quinoa and Thai basil (or cilantro). This curry will keep in a covered container in the fridge for about 5 days.
Nutrition information is an estimate, calculated with 2 cans of lite coconut milk. For a richer flavor, use full fat coconut milk. This makes it much better if I am being honest! You can also use one can full fat and one can’s worth of water or vegetable broth.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size: One fifth of recipe
- Calories: 251.6 calories
- Sugar: 16.9 grams
- Sodium: 932 milligrams
- Fat: 14.1 grams
- Saturated Fat: 10.8 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.3 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31.8 grams
- Fiber: 5.3 grams
- Protein: 3.6 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: pumpkin, curry, thai