Puff Pastry Apple Strudel is a newer take on a classic recipe! It has a cinnamon apple filling with notes of warming spices and brown sugar. This simple German dessert can be totally vegan and is a great treat for the holiday season (or really any time of year!
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed*
- 4 medium sized apples, Granny Smith if possible, cored and sliced into small chunks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Juice of one half of a lemon (a few TBS)
- 3 TBS coconut milk, for brushing
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- Begin by thawing your puff pastry overnight in the fridge. If your did not do this, wrap it in a towel and microwave for 15-2 seconds, until soft and useable. Sprinkle some flour on a work surface and roll out each sheet of pastry so that each side increases about one inch (2.54 cm).
- Make 8 cuts into each long side of the pastry rectangle, about 1/3 of the way in (see photo).Carefully transport each pastry sheet to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the fridge to chill while you make your apple filling.
- To make the filling, combine apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, water, and raisins if using. Heat skillet to medium and stir to combine. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring, until apples have softened and mixture is fragrant. Turn off heat and squeeze in lemon juice. Remove apples from skillet and place in the fridge to cool slightly.
- To assemble strudel, place longways half of apple mixture along the middle portion of the strudel, filling the entire pastry. To braid, take a strand from the top left side of the pastry and fold it over the apple filling. Repeat with the right side, alternating down the length of the strudel. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a pastry brush or your fingers, brush coconut milk over the surface of the pastry braid (this will act like an egg wash). Sprinkle with corse sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven once pastry is golden brown.
- Serve in slices, sprinkled with sifted powdered sugar if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Austrian
- Serving Size: One slice of 20
- Calories: 172 calories
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 122 mg
- Fat: 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.5 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: apple, strudel, pastry, puff, dessert, fall, winter