This recipe for Cozy Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup is full of vegetables and perfect for a weeknight! Inspired by Panera, this will be a family favorite.
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced finely
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 small head of cauliflower, made in florets (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium golden potato, chopped in bite sized pieces
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 medium head broccoli, cup into florets (about 2 cups)
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- Pretzels, to top
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, sauté onion for 5 minutes until golden. Add garlic, 1/2 tsp sea salt, a few twists of pepper, and dried thyme. Cook for 30 seconds more, stirring frequently to insure it does not burn.
- Add cauliflower, potato, carrots, and broth to pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes). Remove soup from pot, add to a blender, and process until creamy. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to blend.
- Pour smooth soup back into pot and add nondairy milk and nutritional yeast. Mix well and adjust seasonings if need be. Turn heat to low.
- Add broccoli. Let soup warm for 5-10 minutes more and serve hot with a squeeze of lemon juice and some pretzel pieces.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One sixth of recipe
- Calories: 95.2 calories
- Sugar: 4.3 grams
- Sodium: 161.7 milligrams
- Fat: 1 gram
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.8 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 17.6 grams
- Fiber: 4.6 grams
- Protein: 5.9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: soup, dinner, 30 minute