This creamy Beet Carrot Ginger Soup is insanely pink and perfectly warming for winter months! Full of cozy flavors and ready in under an hour, you’ll love this simple vegan dinner recipe full of roasted vegetables. It works well for Valentine’s Day!
- 3 large beets
- 3 large carrots
- Salt and pepper, used throughout
- Olive oil, used throughout
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1–2 TBS freshly grated ginger (or 2 tsp dried ginger)
- 4–6 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- Juice of one orange (about 1/3 cup)
- Cilantro, sesame seeds, and vegan yogurt or coconut milk to top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and slice beets and carrots into inch-size pieces. Line two baking sheets with mats or parchment. Add vegetables and drizzle with a few TBS of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until soft and caramelized but not burned.
- Towards the end of the roasting time of the vegetables, heat a large pot on the stove with 3 TBS olive oil. Add onion and a large pinch of salt and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until slightly translucent. Add garlic, ginger, and a few twists of black pepper. Stir and let cook a minute or two more.
- Add vegetable broth (or water) and vegetables. Bring to a strong simmer and let cook for 5-10 minutes to let the flavors meld. If you have an immersion blender, use this to blend your soup right in the pot. If you do not have one, carefully remove the soup from the stove and pour into a blender (using a vented lid for safety). Blend until smooth.
- Add soup back to the pot along with orange juice, stirring to combine. Reheat as needed and serve topped with fresh herbs, sesame seeds, yogurt, or coconut milk.
To make yogurt designs, add small drops of yogurt on top of the soup and use a small knife to drag a line through the center of each.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One fifth of recipe
- Calories: 136.1 calories
- Sugar: 8.3 grams
- Sodium: 466.9 milligrams
- Fat: 8.5 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.3 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14.1 grams
- Fiber: 2.7 grams
- Protein: 2.1 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: beet, valentine, soup, winter