This recipe for Braised White Beans with Garlic and Rosemary is the definition of plant-based comfort food! It’s creamy, hearty, full of warming flavors, and ready in just 30 minutes. Serve with crusty bread!
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 15.5 oz cans cannellini beans (or 3 cups cooked beans)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine, optional
- Twist of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- Cashew parm, to serve (recipe in notes*)
- Crusty bread for dipping
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat with rosemary and red pepper flakes. Add crushed garlic and salt; let it brown slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add one can of white beans WITH bean liquid and rinse the other can and add WITHOUT the liquid. If you’re using home cooked beans, add all three cups of beans along with 1/2 cup water to make up for this. Add white wine if using.
- Lower heat to a simmer and let beans cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Remove rosemary sprigs and set aside for garnishing later. Use a fork to mash some of the beans down, and season with black pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from the heat and taste to see if you need a bit more salt (you likely will if you used homemade beans). Add lemon juice.
- To serve, top with cashew parm, red pepper flakes, olive oil, and lemon juice. Crusty bread for dipping is a must.
To make cashew parmesan: Pulse in a food processor 1 cup raw cashews. 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 3 TBS nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt. Stored in a sealed jar in the fridge for a few months.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Braising
- Serving Size: One fifth of recipe
- Calories: 324.7 calories
- Sugar: 0.6 grams
- Sodium: 772 grams
- Fat: 14.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.8 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 34.9 grams
- Fiber: 7.6 grams
- Protein: 11.7 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams