This recipe for Greek-Inspired Couscous Stuffed Peppers is full of refreshing Mediterranean flavors and plant-based protein! It’s ready in 30 minutes for the perfect weeknight meal.
- 3 large bell peppers (ideally red or orange)
- Olive oil (used throughout)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 TBS dried oregano or basil
- 1 1/3 cups pearl couscous
- 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 3 TBS capers or olives, chopped
- 3 TBS oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped into small pieces (the oil from the jar will help season our dish)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup flat leaf parsley, minced
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- 1 can chickpeas (or 1 1/2 cups cooked), rinsed
- 1/2 cup cashew parmesan or vegan feta
- Zest of one lemon, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and dry peppers and slice down the middle, removing the ribs and seeds inside. Add pepper halves to a baking dish with a few TBS olive oil, pinches or salt and pepper, and dried herbs. Rub to coat, then roast (leaving the dish uncovered) for 20 minutes.
- While peppers are roasting, add 1 TBS olive oil to a small pan over medium heat. Add couscous and toast until golden brown (a few minutes) stirring to prevent burning. Add 1 3/4 cups water and large pinch of salt then bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 11 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Once couscous is fully cooked, add to a large bowl and top with balsamic vinegar, capers/olives, sub dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, parsley, raw garlic, rinsed chickpeas, cashew parmesan, and lemon zest if using. Stir to combine. Taste to see if any flavors need adjusting (you may want to add more salt, depending on how salty your cheese is).
- Spoon couscous into each pepper half, filling to the top. You may have a bit of extra couscous, depending on the size of your peppers. To serve, drizzle with a bit more olive oil and sprinkle on more parsley and cashew parmesan.
Peppers will last in the refrigerator (covered) for 4-5 days.
Nutrition information is for one pepper half, but I normally eat two per serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: One pepper half
- Calories: 150.7 grams
- Sugar: 6.8 grams
- Sodium: 596.8 milligrams
- Fat: 7.7 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.6 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 17.8 grams
- Fiber: 5.1 grams
- Protein: 4.8 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: peppers, couscous, greek