Without needing animal products, this easy vegan gravy recipe comes together very quickly (in about 20 minutes total). It’s also easily frozen for quick prep! A time-saving, delicious, and vegetarian/vegan Thanksgiving recipe.
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 large shallots, grated (can sub 1/4 of a large yellow onion)
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS fresh thyme, or other hearty herb like sage or rosemary, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBS soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 TBS corn starch + 4 TBS water, mixed in a small bowl and set aside to act as a thickener**
- 3 TBS butter, optional
- One third cup brown lentils, optional
- Heat a cast iron or other large skillet (at least 2 inches deep) over medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add grated shallots and cook for 4-5 minutes, until slightly golden. Add mushrooms and salt and let sit for 2 minutes undisturbed, then stir the entire mixture together. Add thyme/herb and garlic, stirring once more. Let the mushrooms and shallots take on color for about 1-2 more minutes, then deglaze the pan by adding soy sauce and balsamic vinegars. Stir to combine and add 1/2 tsp salt.
- Carefully add your vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a moderate boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for around 5 minutes, to let flavors meld and have the mixture thicken slightly. Add optional nutritional yeast. Remove gravy from heat and stir in cornstarch thickener. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding balsamic vinegar for sweetness and tang and soy sauce or nutritional yeast for extra umami.
- Add butter if you’d like a richer flavor (a friend suggested this and I think it’s a great idea). I also recommend blending a portion of the gravy base to really thicken it. I hope you enjoy!
- If desired, you can make some lentils to serve alongside or in the gravy. To prepare, rinse 1/3 cup uncooked lentils until the water runs clear. Then, add to a small saucepan with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed and lentils are soft.
Gravy can be stored in the freezer for up to one month and then reheated before eating.
**If you do not have cornstarch, you can also add 2 TBS mashed potatoes to thicken the gravy.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One eighth of recipe
- Calories: 46.4 calories
- Sugar: 2.6 grams
- Sodium: 164.3 milligrams
- Fat: 1.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.6 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 5.7 grams
- Fiber: 1.3 grams
- Protein: 2.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: mushrooms, gravy, thanksgiving, sauce