Cozy up to a bowl of Miso Dumpling Soup – it’s ready in just 20 minutes! Full of vegetables and extra warming, it’s great if you’re feeling under the weather and need a nourishing, meat-free option.
- 1 TBS neutral oil, like avocado
- 4 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 TBS fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 scallions, sliced into rounds (white parts and green parts in two piles)
- 2 small sweet potatoes, sliced into thin coins
- 6–7 cups water
- 1 package frozen vegetable dumplings (such as Trader Joes Vegetable Gyoza)
- 3–4 large pieces of lacinato kale, torn into strips
- 1/4 cup white miso
- Scallions, hots sauce, chili crisp and sesame seeds to serve
- In a medium pot, heat oil until shimmering and then add mushrooms and let cook for a 3-4 minutes to release some water. Next, add ginger, garlic, and the white parts of scallions. Let cook for 5-minutes, stirring infrequently so the mixture does not burn. The mushrooms should release a good portion of their water and shrink in size.
- Add potatoes* and water, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Next, add dumplings and cook for 4-5 minutes, until heated through. See notes for meal prep option.* Add kale and cook 2 minutes more, to soften. Stir in miso. Bringing the mixture to a full boil (or even just above 114) can kill the probiotic benefits of miso.
- Serve right away topped with reserved green parts of scallions, hot sauce, and sesame seeds.
*If you plan on having leftovers (not eating the entire recipe right away with say, your family), I recommend cooking the sweet potatoes and dumplings in the microwave for a few of minutes, and then adding separately to the bowls of soup as you eat them. This will prevent them from getting soggy and falling apart as they sit in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minute
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Fusion
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 238 calories
- Sugar: 10.1 grams
- Sodium: 577 milligrams
- Fat: 5.6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.6 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 40.8 grams
- Fiber: 5.4 grams
- Protein: 6.8 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams