Make these vegan quinoa beet burgers and they’ll hold their own at any BBQ! They are gluten-free and full of plant protein. Top with mango and avocado!
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 TBS flaxseed meal + 5 TBS water (set aside in small cup, or sub egg if not vegan)
- Olive or coconut oil for pan
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 beet, scrubbed and chopped into large slices
- 3 large Medjool dates, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 TBS corn meal
- Whole wheat buns, avocado slices, mango, and salad greens for serving
- Add quinoa to a small pan with 1 and 1/2 cups of water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let quinoa cook until all water is absorbed (15-ish minutes). Remove from heat and stir with a fork to “fluff.” Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- With your flax “egg” set aside, add about 1 TBS of oil into a cast iron skillet. Sauté onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until fragrant. Add this to your food processor along with quinoa, beets, dates, walnuts, salt, cayenne, cumin, and corn meal. Pulse thoroughly until combined. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preferences.
- Stir flax egg into burger mixture. Add a little oil back to your skillet (or use a grill pan if you have one), and heat to medium-low. If you’d prefer to cook in the oven, heat it to 350 degrees F.
- Using a 1/3 cup measurement, scoop out patties and form into circles with your hands. Place a few at a time onto skillet and let cook for 5-6 minutes per side. If adding cheese, do so a few minutes before removing burgers from heat. If using the oven, add patties to a lined baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes per side, until crisp (flipping halfway through).
- Serve on a bun with avocado, mango, and arugula. Easily frozen for meal prep!
To grill: Prepare the patty mixture as directed and mold into burger shapes. Add a bit of oil to a 3×3 inch piece of aluminum foil and place the burger on top before adding to the grill. The foil will prevent pieces of the patty from falling through the grates. Grill for 5-7 minutes per side over medium heat (with a closed grill lid) to cook fully.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One burger
- Calories: 201.6 calories
- Sugar: 8.5 grams
- Sodium: 28.8 milligrams
- Fat: 11.6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.5 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 21.6 grams
- Fiber: 3.5 grams
- Protein: 5.6 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams