This super-simple recipe for Sage Brown Butter Sauce is the perfect complement for butternut squash ravioli! This celebration of fall flavors makes for a perfect weeknight dinner that is ready in just about 15 minutes. Vegan and easily gluten-free!
- 1 lb. butternut squash ravioli, like Kite Hill
- 1 stick of butter, like Miyokos
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 12 sage leaves, cut in half if large
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup white wine or apple cider (can sub vegetable broth if needed)
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Toasted breadcrumbs to serve, optional
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and prepare ravioli per package instructions (normally a boil at 3-4 minutes).
- Melt the stick of butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook for a couple of minutes and then add garlic, walnuts, sage leaves, and optional thyme. Let cook for couple more minutes, stirring to prevent burning. Remove walnuts and sage leaves once crispy, setting aside for topping later.
- Add a large pinch of salt, a few twists of pepper, and nutmeg to the butter sauce. Still over medium heat, add white wine or apple cider to increase the liquid in the pan. Let bubble for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and toss in your ravioli.
- Serve topped with reserved crispy sage and walnuts. If desired, add toasted breadcrumbs for even more texture.
Nutrition information is an estimate as you will likely not be eating the entire stick of butter!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Serving Size: One half of recipe
- Calories: 548 calories
- Sugar: 0.9 grams
- Sodium: 389 milligrams
- Fat: 31.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 12.8 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 19.1 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 43.6 grams
- Fiber: 0.9 grams
- Protein: 13.5 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams