This Zucchini and Peach Pizza with herby white sauce is an unexpected and delicious way to celebrate summer flavors! Totally vegan and easily gluten-free, try it in the oven or on the grill.
For plant-based white sauce:
- 2/3 cup cashew pieces, unsalted
- 1 cup nondairy milk, plain
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (stems and leaves OK)
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder, optional
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 recipe uncooked easiest flatbread, or 1 lb store-bought pizza dough
- 2 TBS sesame seeds
- Extra virgin olive oil, used throughout
- 1 zucchini, small, peeled into ribbons
- 1 peach or nectarine, large, sliced
- Basil and/or parsley, to garnish
- Begin my baking your own flatbread dough, if desired. If using store bought dough, proceed to step two. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (alternatively, you can make this on the grill, detailed in Notes).
- To make white sauce, add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and combine until creamy and smooth. If you do not have a high speed blender, I recommend soaking the cashews in hot water for 30 minutes, beforehand, then drain. This will make them easier to combine with the other ingredients.
- Spread your pizza dough across an oiled baking sheet, stretching into a round shape about 12 inches across. Spread the sauce across the entire top, leaving a rim for the crust. Sprinkle sesame seeds across the crust edges.
- Swirl the zucchini ribbons across the sauce, and fan out peach slices however you like. Drizzle the entire pizza in bit more olive oil. Bake for around 20-25 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the sauce is beginning to firm up.
- Let cool slightly and garnish with fresh herbs. Best enjoyed the same day it is made.
To make this recipe on the grill: Heat the grill to medium high. Spread 1-2 TBS of olive oil on both sides of the dough round. Lay on top of the grill grates, sprinkle with a bit of salt, and close the lid. Let cook for 3-5 minutes. Using tongs or a fork, flip the flatbread. Add sauce and toppings as suggested above, close the lid, and let cook 10 minutes more. Remove from the grill, let cool for a couple of minutes, and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 504 calories
- Sugar: 6.6 grams
- Sodium: 512.6 milligrams
- Fat: 21.4 grams
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 18.2 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 67.3 grams
- Fiber: 3.8 grams
- Protein: 11.6 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: pizza, nectarine, zucchini, summer, grilling