Homemade Dog Treats made easy with just 3 ingredients, ready in 20 minutes! Wheat free and full of peanut butter, your dog or puppy will love these simple snacks.
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that Dan and I recently brought home a golden retriever puppy! Puffin is currently 10 weeks old and we’re having SO much fun with him. His energy is truly infectious we can’t wait to take him on all kinds of adventures around San Diego.
We can tell that he is going to be a big guy (gotta love those extra-large puppy paws) and he gets so excited every meal time. I’ve seen recipes for homemade dog treats before and wanted to give them a shot! I am not at all against purchasing pre-made treats, and it’s worth mentioning we feed him a meat-rich diet. These treats were a fun experiment, and a great option if I run out of those from the store 🙂
Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter?
Yes, as long at it’s pure peanut butter with no xylitol and fed in moderation, it should be safe for your dog. I recommend looking for a jar that is just made with peanuts (and try to avoid high sodium levels). As always, it’s important to double check with your vet to insure this is the case for your specific breed. Feel free to read more about peanut butter dog safety here! Treats should not make up more than 10 percent of your pup’s diet.
Can Dogs Eat Oatmeal?
Oatmeal is a great source of fiber for dogs and is especially helpful with those that have a wheat sensitivity. Vitamin B in oats will help keep their coat shiny and thick. Be sure to never prepare oatmeal with dairy milk, as this often times will upset their stomach. Raw oatmeal can also be challenging to digest, which is why these treats are cooked. Read more about oatmeal safety here. Again, your dog is not meant to be eating “people food,” so moderation is very important.
How to Make Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
This recipe is truly very simple and comes together in just about 20 minutes.
- Mix your oat flour, banana, and peanut butter until a cohesive mixture forms. Kneading with your hands is easiest!
- Roll out dough (no flour needed) and cut out dog treat shapes of choice. I used the same cutouts from my animal cracker recipe, but any shape will work.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool.
I hope your dog enjoys these easy homemade treats! Please let me know in the comments if they are a hit. This recipe yields about 50 treats and was inspired by Flora and Vino
Homemade Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter (made from just peanuts)
- 1 small ripe banana
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Grind oats into a fine flour using a high speed blender. Add oat flour to a large bowl with peanut butter and banana. Mash with a fork to combine and the use your hand to knead into a cohesive mixture. If it's not holding together, add more peanut butter or oat flour. Do not add dairy or other ingredients, as they may be unsafe for your pet.
- On a clean surface, roll dough to desired thickness, about 1/4 of an inch. Cut out in shapes of choice. Little bones would be cute! Place on prepared sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely before giving to your pet. Feel free to try one yourself! 🙂