This recipe for Fig Jam Pizza Bianca is a unique spin on the classic sauceless pie! Made with sweet fig jam, creamy goat cheese, peppery arugula, and truffle oil, this fancy-yet-easy pizza recipe is a showstopper dinner recipe. Vegan options included!
What is pizza bianca?
Pizza bianca (also know as bianca pizza, white pizza, or white pie) is an Italian styled pizza which does not use tomato sauce. A recipe for this pizza generally consists of pizza dough, olive oil, garlic, cheese, and salt, with a variety of other topping options such as fresh greens, vegetables or herbs. Bechamel sauce or ricotta cheese are both common additions as well.
Today’s recipe is inspired by the bianca pizza specific to The Porch, a great restaurant located on my college campus in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Their menu features a number of wonderful pizzas but my favorite (“the Bianca”) is made with fresh goat cheese, fig jam, baby arugula, and truffle oil. I of course wanted to offer a plant-based twist, so include instructions below for vegan and non-vegan versions!
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
- Olive oil
- 1 recipe Easiest Flatbread dough, or 1 lb. prepared pizza dough
- 1 cup fig jam or fig preserves
- 3/4 cup goat cheese or vegan cashew cheese (recipe in this vegan potato pesto pizza recipe post)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tsp lemon juice, optional
- Truffle oil to finish, optional
- Red pepper flakes and parmesan (or vegan cashew parmesan, in this vegan microwave cacio e pepe post), to serve
How to Prepare Figs for Pizza
To make this recipe as streamlined as possible, I recommend purchasing fig jam or preserves in a jar from the grocery store to use on your pizza. This will make your life much easier! Divinia and Dalmatia and two brands that I really enjoy (they can get expensive, so shopping around online can help this).
If you’d like to make your own fig jam, this recipe from Food & Wine looks good.
What is a good vegan substitute for goat cheese?
Like in my other vegan pizza posts, cashew cheese is a super simple substitute that I really enjoy using.
Ingredients for cashew cheese
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and drained
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- Splash of unsweetened almond milk, if necessary
To make, simply blend ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. That’s it!
How do you prepare arugula for pizza?
Dress it with a tablespoon or olive oil, and teaspoon of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt before adding it to the baked pizza. It is helpful to dress the arugula just a little before adding it, particularly if it is full size (not “baby arugula”). This cheaters dressing will help reduce toughness of the green. However, if you can find baby arugula you may be able to get away with not dressing it. Arugula is a “love it or hate it” ingredient for some people, so feel free to omit if you’re not a fan!
How to Make Fig Jam Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large sheet pan or pizza pan with parchment . Stretch pizza dough to fit size of the pan and coat with 2 TBS olive oil, to cover. Spread fig jam on top and add pieces of goat cheese evenly across the surface (or dollops of cashew cheese, if using).
- Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted/brown and crust is golden.
- While pizza is baking, add arugula to a large bowl and toss with 3/4 TBS olive oil, 1 tsp lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Remove pizza from oven and top with arugula salad. Drizzle a small amount of truffle oil over the entire pizza and serve hot alongside crushed red pepper flakes and parmesan.
Other Delicious & Easy Homemade Pizza Recipes
Love pizza? Check out these next:
Thanks for reading, please be sure to let me know in the comments if you give this one a try!Print