This Vegan Cheesy Garlic Star Bread is a show-stopping side on any table, but surprisingly easy to prepare! Parmesan, parsley, and butter flavor the inside, which is stacked and twirled into a star shape. We’re going through step-by-step instructions, so I promise you will wow your friends with this delicious loaf!
Happy Easter to those celebrating! 2020 is going to be such an interesting year to look back on. I’ve joked with friends that we will need to re-celebrate all of the holidays that fall during quarantine. Right now that’s looking like a combined party of St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, Passover, and Cinco de Mayo most likely!
While we may not be able to spend time in person with family and friends right now, cooking comforting meals for ourselves can be rather helpful and almost cathartic. Bread in particular is something very satisfying to bake for yourself, if you’re lucky enough to find ingredients at the store. Today’s garlic star bread recipe is a perfect “baking project” if you’re looking to use up some extra time and create something truly beautiful.
As obvious from this website’s title, garlic is one of my favorite ingredients. There are already quite a few recipes for garlic bread online. While delicious they do not scream “centerpiece” of any table, holiday or otherwise.
What is star bread?
I first learned about star bread as a Swedish baking tradition. It is often baked for special occasions and notable for its lovely braided, pointed shape. I normally have seen it filled with a combination of cinnamon and sugar, not unlike traditional cinnamon rolls.
I thought it would be fun to take a savory twist on this classic dish, using some of my favorite flavors: fresh herbs, cheesy parmesan, and of course warming garlic.
What is an enriched dough?
Standard bread dough is usually some combination of flour, yeast/starter, salt and water. Enriching a dough means adding additional ingredients such as eggs, sugar, cream, or butter. For example, Challah is a very common type of enriched dough.
I have never attempted to make a vegan version but so happy to say it worked very well! For additional guidance, I recommend reading these below steps in full before beginning.Â
How to Make Star Bread: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Make a simple dough of milk, instant yeast, flour, sugar, flax eggs, and salt. Knead it with your hands until no longer sticky. Let rest for one hour, until doubled in size.
- While dough is resting, combine cashew parmesan (or nutritional yeast), vegan butter, and chopped fresh herbs until combined.
- Split the now-rested dough into four equal sized balls. Roll each to a large pancake shape (9-11 inches in diameter).
- Start stacking! Place one “pancake” on a parchment-lined sheet and cover in 1/3 of the herb butter. Repeat this process with other three discs, leaving the top of the final round bare and then coating in a thin layer of coconut milk (this mimics an egg wash to give our star bread some shine).
- Place a drinking glass in the center of the circle stack (2 inches in diameter recommended). Press down slightly. This serves as a guide while you’re cutting the star edges. You will not cut anything underneath the glass.
- Working around the outside of the glass, cut the dough stack into 16 equal pieces.Â If it’s helpful, think of the dough stack as a clock. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, make four incisions at the noon, three, six, and nine positions. Cut all the way through the stack each time. Then slice each of these quadrants into four individual strips. You will end up with 16.
- Taking two strips at a time, twist them each around themselves ONCE so that the top is visible again. Press these two strips together and smooth into a “point” at the end. You will end up having eight star points total.
- Brush the entire loaf with coconut milk once more and bake until golden.
I realize these steps may seem involved, so please let me know in the comments below if I can provide additional clarity!
If you’re looking to try another bread recipe, I recommend this rosemary potato focaccia next!Print