This No Bake 3-Ingredient Dog Cake Recipe is made with sweet potatoes, brown rice, and peanut butter! It’s flour-free and a great treat for your furry friend on their birthday This post also contains information around human foods that dogs can and cannot eat!
**DISCLAIMER: Always check with your pet’s veterinarian before feeding them something new or changing their dietary routine.**
Can dogs eat grains like brown rice?
Yes. Rice is a common ingredient in many dog foods, but only when it is fully cooked. Never feed your dog uncooked rice or unbaked rice flour. I like to practice moderation here as dogs are primarily meant to consume meat.
Can dogs eat almonds?
No. Almonds are unsafe for dogs.Almonds can get caught in the dog’s windpipe and pose a choking hazard if not chewed. Macadamia nuts are more toxic; it’s best to avoid avoids as well. It’s almost important to never feed your dog food with added salt.
Can dogs eat peanut butter?
Yes. This is a popular ingredient in dog treats and a good source of protein. However, always be sure to check that the peanut butter you buy is free of xylitol, which is toxic to dogs.
Can dogs eat cinnamon?
Cinnamon is not fatally toxic for dogs, but can irritate the inside of a dog’s mouth and can dangerously lower their blood sugar if consumed in excess. It’s best to avoid all together.
Can dogs eat nutmeg?
No, nutmeg contains the toxic myristicin which can cause hallucinations, increased heart rate, disorientation, high blood pressure, abdominal pain, dry mouth, and even seizures.
Can dogs eat ice cream?
No. Ice cream is very high in sugar and can be very upsetting to a dog’s sensitive stomach. Even if your dog is not lactose intolerant, it’s best to avoid.
Can dogs eat grapes or raisins?
No. Grapes are extremely toxic to dogs and should be carefully avoided.
Why are grapes bad for dogs?
The reason some dogs develop kidney failure following ingestion of grapes and raisins is not completely known. This acute kidney failure can occur 48 hours after consuming, so be sure to take your pet to the vet immediately if you suspect they ate grapes or raisins.
Can dogs eat yogurt?
Yes. Yogurt contains probiotics that can be useful in small amounts. However, this only include unsweetened and plain yogurt with no artificial ingredients.
Can dogs eat sweet potatoes?
Yes! Sweet potatoes are full of vitamins and fiber. Be sure to always peel your sweet potatoes as the skins can be tough for them to digest. Also be sure that any sweet potato you feed your dog is fully cooked.
Ingredients Needed for a No Bake, 3-Ingredient Dog Cake
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 TBS raw unsalted peanut butter, divided
- 1 TBS unsweetened plain greek yogurt, optional
- 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup cooked and unseasoned shredded chicken (optional)
How do you make a cake for a dog?
- Poke some holes in the sweet potato and microwave it for 6-8 total minutes, stopping at the halfway point to flip.
- Remove the sweet potato from the microwave and let it cool. Use a fork or spoon to scrape the orange flesh out. It should yield around 1/2 cup.
- Mix one TBS peanut butter into the sweet potato mash. Next, add in cooked brown rice. Add in cooked chicken, if using. Stir to combine and place on a plate, patting into a cake shape. The mixture will be rather firm. Let cool completely in the fridge for about 15 minutes. It will firm up more.
- Remove from fridge and “frost” with remaining 1 TBS peanut butter OR 1 TBS unsweetened plain greek yogurt.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for a homemade dog birthday cake! If you want to make more foods for your pup, try these 3-Ingredient Dog Treats next.Print