This recipe for Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Mix will be on repeat all winter long! Made with just three ingredients, it comes together in minutes and is easily pre-made or gifted. This hot cocoa is a totally vegan and gluten-free homemade treat that everyone will love. Just mix with one cup milk of choice!
How To Make Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Mix
This recipe is really very simple, requiring just four to six ingredients. To make hot cocoa mix at home, you will:
- Combine 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Next, layer it in a sealable jar and (optionally) top it with 1/3 cup finely shredded coconut (this adds more richness but can be left out).
- Then, you will add a layer of dark chocolate chips and a layer of mini marshmallows.
- To serve, add three tablespoons of mix to one cup warmed milk of choice, stir, and enjoy!
Does hot cocoa mix expire?
Traditional hot chocolate mixes like Swiss Miss will expire after 6-12 months. This is because they often contain milk powder. This homemade hot cocoa mix is vegan, so that is not an issue here! The marshmallows you choose may become dry or sticky after a long period of time, so just check the packaging you bought for those. I personally have never had an issue here. Here is a list of seven types of vegan marshmallows!
Can I use hot cocoa mix in place of cocoa powder in recipes?
I’ve seen a few people asking this question, and the answer is yes, but do so carefully.
Because this recipe for dairy-free hot cocoa mix does not contain milk, it can easily but subbed for a portion of your cocoa powder (keeping in mind it will be sweeter, you may need to use less sugar in your brownie recipe.
Store-bought hot chocolate mix can contain a lot of other ingredients, so be sure you read those before subbing one for one.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for dairy-free hot chocolate mix! If you’re looking for more wintery drink ideas, try one of these next:Print
This recipe for Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Mix will be on repeat all winter long! Made with just three ingredients, it comes together in minutes and is easily pre-made or gifted. This hot cocoa is a totally vegan and gluten-free treat that everyone will love.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process if possible)
- .5 cups powdered sugar
- .25 tsp sea salt
- .33 cups finely shredded coconut, optional
- .33 cups mini dark chocolate chips
- .5 cups mini marshmallows, vegan as needed
- Being by sifting/combining cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and sea salt together, breaking up lumps as much as possible.
- Add cocoa mixture to a medium sized sealable jar and pat down with a spoon. Pour optional coconut layer and pack. Repeat this process with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
- Seal the jar and store in the pantry.
- To serve hot chocolate, heat 1 cup milk of choice and whisk in 3 TBS cocoa mixture (taking care to mix the layers as needed).
Recipe yields 2-3 cups mixture
Nutrition information does not include milk used
- Category: Drink
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 TBS cocoa mix
- Calories: 53 calories
- Sugar: 6.6 grams
- Sodium: 2.5 milligrams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: .8 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10.6 grams
- Fiber: 2.2 grams
- Protein: 1.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: cocoa, hot chocolate, drinks