This recipe for Crispy Orzo with Peas and Garlic Butter is a perfect pantry meal that is packed with flavor and so comforting! Ready in just 15 minutes, it’s a family-friendly healthy weeknight dinner that everyone will love. Totally vegan with gluten-free options!
Ingredients Needed for Crispy Orzo with Peas and Garlic Butter
- Dry orzo pasta (or your favorite gluten-free alternative, like Banza)
- Coconut milk – to add more richness while cooking the pasta (water can be subbed)
- Butter – for the sauce (I like Miyokos as a plant-based option)
- Garlic cloves – for added flavor
- Olive oil – to help crisping
- Frozen peas – for protein and color
- Parmesan – cashew parm or regular, for cheesiness
- Fresh parsley – for brightness
- Lemon juice and zest – to complement with acidity
How to Make Crispy Orzo
Because this recipe is inspired by fried rice, the preparation method may be familiar to you. To add extra creaminess while cooking the orzo, you will infuse it with coconut milk. Most of this drains away after cooking, but it provides nice body to the pasta.
After draining the pasta, add it to a hot skillet filled with a garlicky butter sauce. Then, press the pasta in an even layer in the pan so that it can begin crisping. It’s important to let the orzo sit, undisturbed, for 4-5 minutes.
Next, toss the orzo with some olive oil, cashew parmesan, and frozen peas while letting it crisp even further. Before serving, add some lemon juice and zest. That’s it! This entire meal comes together in just 15 minutes and is total comfort food.
For another crispy rice dish, feel free to try this tachin (golden saffron rice) recipe next!
For another easy pantry pasta, try this Microwave Cacio e Pepe.Print