These Granola Breakfast cookies are a healthy way to start the day with dessert! Made totally gluten-free, vegan, and with natural sweeteners, they’re satisfying and full of plant-powered protein. Easily customized!
What are granola breakfast cookies?
Granola Breakfast Cookies are a healthy baked good with all of the ingredients of your favorite granola or oatmeal breakfast. However, since they’re baked individually, they’re easily packed and great for travel. If you like granola bars, you’ll love this customizable breakfast option!
I love that this recipe is:
- Made with pantry-staple ingredients, like oats and nuts
- Easily gluten-free for my GF friends, when made using certified gluten-free oats
- Sweetened with ripe banana, dried fruit, and maple syrup (so not saccharine)
- Very easy to modify based on what your have on hand/your personal preference
- Actually filling as a snack, with nearly 4 grams of protein per cookie
- Rolled oats, for the base of the cookie
- Baking powder, for leavening
- Sea salt
- Cinnamon, for flavor
- 1 ripe banana, to help bind things and sweetnen
- Smooth nut butter, to bring things together
- Maple syrup, to sweeten
- Ground flax, to take the place of an egg
- Dried fruit of choice
- Seeds or nuts of choice, for protein
- Candied ginger, to add some excitement
Possible Substitutions in this Recipe
Cardamom pairs very well with tahini if you have it on hand! Sometimes I like swapping that for the cinnamon listed above.
Any runny nut butter will work as a binding agent here. I prefer tahini as I usually have it (thanks to this 6 lb. tub of tahini from Amazon), but think that almond butter or even cashew butter would work very well. If you are a peanut butter lover, that is an obvious choice for you.
Canned pumpkin or vegan yogurt will work in place of the banana.
Chia seeds can be substituted for flax seeds. Honestly I have left these out before and they turn out fine!
Any small, chopped dried fruit (like pineapples, apples, or raisins) can be substituted for craisins.
If you enjoy chocolate at breakfast (I don’t 😂 ), feel free to add chocolate chips in place of or alongside candied ginger.
As you can tell, this is very much a “choose your own adventure” breakfast cookie recipe. These have been a great mid-morning snack option in my routine and they are very easy to pack to take on trips.