This recipe for Hot Vegan Butterbeer tastes just how you’ve pictured the most beloved drink in the Harry Potter Universe! With notes of warming sugars and creamy butterscotch, it is also easily made into a spiked cocktail that is perfect for a cool evening.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, slightly packed
- 3 TBS water
- 1–2 TBS high-quality vegan butter, such as Miyokos (more butter will make it richer)
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk, such as almond or coconut, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 TBS lemon juice
- 1.5 oz (1 shot) vodka, optional
- Cream soda, optional
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine brown sugar and 3 TBS water. Stir until sugar starts to melt, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in vegan butter, half (1/4 cup) of the milk, vanilla extract, salt, and lemon juice. Remove from heat once butter melts and mixture is slightly thickened.
- For a foamier final beverage, whip the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a mixer or frother with half of the butterscotch mixture. If you do not feel like doing this, feel free to add the remaining 1/4 cup milk right into the pot.
- Carefully (it’s still hot!), pour the butterscotch mixture into a large mug. If desired, top with a shot of vodka or a splash of cream soda (for fizz).
Nutrition facts calculated with 1 TBS butter and without vodka or cream soda.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Drink
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1 recipe
- Calories: 275.2 calories
- Sugar: 43.7 grams
- Sodium: 318.7 milligrams
- Fat: 11.2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 8.1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.1 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 44.7 gram
- Fiber: 0.2 grams
- Protein: 0.5 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: butterbeer, drink, butterscotch