The California Veggie Sandwich is a classic for a reason! With pesto, hummus, avocado, and tons of crunchy vegetables, it’s full of hearty and nourishing ingredients and West coast vibes. Vegan and easily gluten-free!
- 2 slices of whole grain, crusty bread (use GF bread if gluten-free)
- 2 TBS hummus
- 1/4 of an avocado (a few slices)
- 2 TBS basil pesto (video below)
- 6 slices of cucumber, cut thinly
- 3 thick slices of tomato (any kind is fine)
- 3 rounds of sliced red onion, cut thinly
- 1/3 cup bean sprouts or pea shoots
- Spread hummus on one piece of bread and pesto on the other.
- Layer cucumber slices on top of the hummus, fitting them across the bread with a slight overlap. Next, add avocado, tomato and red onion pieces.
- To the side of the sandwich with pesto, add sprouts (pressing down so they stick a bit). Sandwich the two sides together and press to flatten slightly. Wrap sandwich in parchment if desired, tying with a piece of twine for a picnic vibe.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Sandwiching
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 522 calories
- Sugar: 10 grams
- Sodium: 969.5 milligrams
- Fat: 14.8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.4 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 82.1 grams
- Fiber: 8.3 grams
- Protein: 18.6 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: lunch, sandwich, california,