Smoothie bowls are definitely a health trend I could never get on board with. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that juiceries are able to change $15 for one small size?
With so many added ingredients, there is definitely a “health halo” around those colorful, fruity dishes. Fruit is natural sugar of course, but it is still sugar that will not keep me full for more than an hour.
However, smoothie bowls are refreshing! So I’ve come to treat them as more of a snack I make myself when I am in the mood for something that will quench my thirst and provide a decent amount of vitamins. Enter: this tangy grapefruit smoothie bowl!
I know what you’re thinking — grapefruit in a smoothie? Won’t that be too bitter?
The secret here is to cut that tart flavor with frozen strawberries. They help contribute to this lovely pink hue and brighten up all other flavors. Frozen banana and a few teaspoons of maple syrup lend a hand in the sweetness department. You could also substitute a Medjool date!
Just for fun, I scooped out the flesh from my grapefruit instead of segmenting so I could use the peels as little bowls. This is 100% optional–in fact, this taste just as tasty out of a regular drinking glass!
Almond butter helps the satiation factor, I’d imagine cashew butter would work too. I do not recommend peanut butter, as it has too strong of a flavor.
Feel free to get creative with toppings and just use whatever tropical fruit and nuts you have on hand. I hope you enjoy these citrus-y smoothies; please let me know in a comment on Instagram what you think! Serves two generously.
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 banana, peeled broken into chunks
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 – 4 tsp maple syrup, or 1 – 2 soft Medjool dates, depending on desired sweetness level
- 3 TBS runny almond butter
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger, optional
- 4 ice cubes
- Toppings: mango, kiwi, nuts of choice, seeds of choice, banana, coconut, etc.
- If you are serving in peel bowls, cut grapefruit in half and scoop out flesh with a serrated knife and spoon. Set peels aside.
- To a high speed blender, add grapefruit flesh, strawberries, banana, maple syrup/dates, almond butter, powdered ginger, and ice cubes. Blend until thick and combined.
- Pour into peel bowls and sprinkle on toppings of choice!