This creamy vegan queso will be your new favorite party food! Ready in just 5 minutes with just three ingredients, it’s the perfect topping for nachos & wonderful for dipping chips. Everyone will be asking for the recipe because it’s the BEST ever!
When asking friends for September recipe recommendations, a surprising number of people responded “party snacks/drinks.” I suppose this should not have been so surprising to me, as football season is here and has brought with it the need for easily prepared, sharable appetizers.
I will be the first to admit that “cheesy” dips have never been my snack selection of choice. Give me all the chips please, but anything overly creamy/gooey has turned me off. Spinach artichoke dip, buffalo dip, and the like have never been my go-to choices. Even hummus and I have an on/off relationship (it’s true!).
I am so happy to report that today’s recipe has changed all of that! It’s creamy without being sticky and savory without a cloying aftertaste.
The best part: it’s literally ready in 5 minutes and only requires 3 ingredients! Next time you forget to make an app for the tailgate, consider it DONE with the simplest queso recipe in the land 🧀. Way faster than melting dairy cheese too!
I wholeheartedly believe that this dip tastes like the “real” thing, and if you are bringing it to a party I strongly encourage waiting until after people taste-test to reveal the true ingredients. No one will be the wiser and they’ll all think you worked a lot harder in the kitchen 😉.
**It’s important to note, this is not an authentic Mexican recipe! I am not an authority in that space. This simply draws inspiration from a cuisine I admire and like learning about.**
By now I’m sure you’re wondering: if there’s no cheese here, how are we imitating the texture and color so well?
Yes, the vegan standby that has served us very well in the realm of pretend cheese. This is by far their best undercover work yet. When blended with some salsa, water, taco seasonings, and optional nutritional yeast, their taste is shockingly similar to nacho cheese dip.
More tips for the best vegan queso
- I strongly recommend a high speed blender for optimal results here. I recognize that not everyone has access to one, so a food processor will be a good substitute! If going this route, you’ll want to plan ahead and soak your cashews in hot water to soften them up before blending.
- To add more yellow color, I threw in a few pinches of ground turmeric. While this does not at alter the taste of your dip, it lends that sunny vibe that most of us associate with cheese!
- I added jalapeños to the top of this mainly for decoration, but if you want a little bit of a kick, add a few slivers of one to the blender. Trust me when I say a little goes a long way.
While I enjoy this best as a standalone dip, I believe it would be a wonderful addition to nachos or tacos. If you give it a try, please leave a comment below or let me know on Instagram what you thought!
This creamy vegan queso will be your new favorite party food! Ready in just 5 minutes with just three ingredients, it's the perfect topping for nachos & wonderful for dipping chips. Everyone will be asking for the recipe because it's the BEST ever!
- 1 cup cashews, unroasted ((buying cashew pieces is cheaper than whole!))
- 1/4 cup chunky mild salsa ((red or green, not very watery))
- 1 TBS taco seasoning ((alternatively, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, pinch of salt))
- 3 TBS nutritional yeast ((optional, for more "cheese-y" flavor))
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric ((optional, for color))
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper ((optional, for spice))
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and combine with 1/3 cup of water. Let blend on medium until full incorporated. To make even more creamy, add 1/4 cup more water and blend until completely soft.
- Taste and add more seasonings as you like! I love adding more nutritional yeast and some jalapeño if serving to a spice-loving crowd.
Recipe inspired by Pinch of Yum.
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
Pin this Vegan Queso: