These Salted Watermelon Margaritas are the most refreshing way to cool down this summer! With just 4 healthy ingredients (and a frozen slushie option), you can easily beat the heat in style. Whole food ingredients in a party-ready cocktail, alcohol optional, and ready in just 10 minutes!
I’ve always enjoyed making cocktails myself. While bars are fun, it’s very easy to spend way too much money on something that you may not even enjoy. I believe that drinking at home saves money but also allows for creative experiments!
You definitely don’t need a bar cart stocked with fancy liquors to whip up a very special beverage. With bars closed this year due to quarantine, I know people are more open than even to at-home experimentations. Additionally, I know my friends and family on the East coast are in the middle of a major heat wave. So, what could be more refreshing than a frozen salted watermelon margarita? Let’s get into it!
What ingredients do you need for a margarita?
Typically, a traditional margarita is made with tequila, lime juice, and Cointreau or Triple Sec. As you can guess, we’re straying a bit from the traditional path for this recipe in the name of accessibility and the refreshing summertime flavor of watermelon.
How to Make a Watermelon Margarita
It’s important to me to create recipes that did not require many ingredients. Like always, I want to publish posts that easily adapted to your home kitchen.
First, we’ll begin by blending the watermelon with lime and (optionally) straining it. Next, we’ll sweeten to taste; the amount of sweetener depending on how ripe your fruit is. Also, if you like frozen cocktails now is the time we’ll blend in some ice!
Finally, we’ll pour into glasses and top off with tequila or sparkling water. Start to finish in 10 minutes, I swear.
Looking for more refreshing summer drink recipes? Click here for a whole round up of 17 Margarita Recipes!
Or, try a cocktail version of Strawberry Limeade.
These Salted Watermelon Margaritas are the most refreshing way to cool down this summer! With just 5 healthy ingredients (and a frozen option), you can easily beat the heat in style. Whole food ingredients in a party-ready cocktail, alcohol optional, and ready in just 10 minutes!
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- Juice of two limes (about 1/2 cup) (with zest, optional)
- 2–4 TBS agave nectar (or maple syrup or honey)
- 5 oz tequila blanco, a little more than 1/2 cup (use vodka in a pinch) (or soda water if making a virgin)
- 3 sprigs mint (optional)
- Sea salt
- 1 cup ice
- In a blender, combine watermelon, lime juice, and optional zest of one lime. If looking for a very smooth drink, strain this mixture through a fine mesh sieve and save pulp for another recipe.
- Pour watermelon juice mixture back in the blender, add agave/other sweetener, and 1 tsp salt and blend to combine. It's important to taste at this stage, as a less sweet watermelon will require more agave/honey.If needed, add a bit more lime juice (for brightness) or sweetener.
- *NOTE: If you'd like a frozen margarita, blend 1 cup ice in now. Feel free to skip this step if not.*
- Pour a generous amount of salt (about 4 TBS) onto a small plate. Dip the rims of your glasses in water place them upside down onto plate of salt to rim the edges of the glasses, as pictured. Alternatively, rim only one side of the glass (sometimes I like having a non-salt option).
- Decant watermelon/lime mixture into four short, ice-filled glasses (I use Mason jars). Top with 1 and 1/2 oz tequila or vodka. Add mint springs to garnish! Premade mixture will keep sealed in the fridge for four days.
- Category: cocktail, Drinks, margarita, watermelon