Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas are a perfect celebration of summer! It is made with an infused simple syrup, tequila, and some fresh orange juice. Easily made nonalcoholic as well!
What’s in a strawberry rhubarb margarita?
A classic margarita is made with lime juice, tequila, and orange liqueur. This recipe puts a bit of a twist on the traditional, using orange juice, tequila (or mezcal), orange liqueur, and a homemade strawberry rhubarb simple syrup.
In this case, we are swapping orange juice for lime as orange is a flavor that pairs very well with rhubarb (and of course with the traditional orange liqueur – I prefer Cointreau).
How We Make a Strawberry-Rhubarb Simple Syrup
So, instead of simmering the fruit with sugar and water, we are adding agave syrup as it pairs very well with tequila (a spirit derived from the agave plant). To make the syrup, simmer 1 cup of water with 3 cups of sliced rhubarb, 1/3 cup agave syrup, 1/2 cup sliced strawberries, and a pinch of salt. Let the rhubarb soften for about 15 minutes. Finally, strain the fruit pulp out and reserve for another recipe (like waffles).
Love strawberries? Be sure to check out this round up of my favorite vegan strawberry recipes!
What exactly is rhubarb?
Technically a vegetable, rhubarb is the stalk of a leafy plant which can be cooked and eaten in a variety of ways (most commonly, in desserts). The leaves of the rhubarb plant contain oxalic acid and are thus toxic. Interestingly, you would need to eat several pounds of leaves to truly notice any issue.
The stalks are long and stringy, like celery (but a different family), and have a very tart flavor. Rhubarb is commonly paired with sugar and berries to offset this sharp flavor, but I enjoy it on its own as well. Below I’ve outlined a few of my favorite rhubarb recipes for more context! I believe it is one of the best parts of the summer season and I keep it on hand as long as I possibly can.
Do you love rhubarb? Be sure to check out this round up of all of my Vegan Rhubarb Recipes.
Equipment Needed to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Margs
To prepare the strawberry rhubarb mixture you will need a fine mesh strainer. To make the cocktail, I recommend using a cocktail shaker (though two glasses will also work, as demonstrated in this video).
How to Customize Strawberry-Rhubarb Margaritas
- Feel free to substitute any berry you prefer. Blueberries would be good!
- If you like smoky flavors, substitute mezcal for tequila.
- Lime juice is more tart and can be used in place of orange juice, if you really like things sour.
- Candied ginger and mint would both be worthwhile additions!
- This recipe is easily scaled up if you’re serving a crowd – just multiple the cocktail ingredients by the number of people you have. Additionally, the rhubarb syrup recipe makes a lot extra and will last in a jar in the fridge.
- For an alcohol-free variation, substitute a flavored sparkling water (like Spindrift) for the tequila. Sparkling water is also great in this Garden Party Cocktail.
Related Drink and Rhubarb Recipes to Try Next
Check out the margaritas in my free e-book of 3-Ingredient Cocktails.Print