S’mores Brownies are a decadent treat with a healthy substitute you’d never guess. A graham cracker crust topped with dark chocolate brownies coated with toasty marshmallows make this dessert irresistible, and just like a classic campfire treat! Vegan!
Plant-Based Brownies Everyone Will Love
S’mores, in brownie form! So, s’mores brownies. This title speaks for itself.
I thought about posting regular s’mores, but that would be a far cry from a recipe (even for me). So, I wanted to think of something a bit more exciting (but just as delicious). These s’mores brownies have a crispy graham cracker base, a fudge-y dark chocolate interior, and a toasty topping of marshmallows and melty chocolate pieces. All of our favorite campfire flavors, no open flame required.
I know that many people are getting tired of cooking/baking during COVID (honestly, same?) so these brownies do have an option to simplify with using a boxed mix. I will recommend the Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate every day. In all honesty, the components for this recipe come together very quickly and mainly in a blender. We’re even using a secret ingredient to sub out the butter -avocado!
Avocado lends a super creamy texture to this recipe, along with a dose of healthy fat. It’s flavor is completely masked by the cocoa powder and chocolate pieces. As a bonus, I was actually out of butter when making these and it worked great. If you don’t have any avocados (or any that are ripe, for that matter), I’m sure that 1/2 cup of softened butter could sub. We also use avocado in this 5-Minute Chocolate Pudding!
How to Make S’mores Brownies
After lining a pan with parchment paper (for easy release post-baking), you’ll break some graham crackers into squares and coat the base of the baking dish.
Then, you’ll whip up a brownie batter for the middle layer. As mentioned above, I am providing an option for homemade or boxed mix, so just go with what you have on hand. This will get baked at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes.
While the brownies are baking, you can prepare a topping of crushed graham crackers, chopped chocolate, and mini marshmallows. After you remove the brownies from the oven you will top them with these and broil for a couple of minutes to toast.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please let me know in the comments or on Instagram if you give it a try.
Looking for more chocolate? Try one of these recipes next!Print
Vegan S'mores Brownies are a decadent treat with a healthy substitute you'd never guess. A graham cracker crust topped with dark chocolate brownies coated with toasty marshmallows make this dessert irresistible, and just like a classic campfire treat!
- 5 graham crackers, plus extra for topping
For the brownie base (feel free to skip and used boxed brownies if you'd like!)
- 1/2 cup ripe avocado (Melted butter should also work)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat or all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (vegan if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows (vegan if needed)
- 1 chocolate bar (vegan if needed)
- Prepare a 9×9 baking dish by lining with parchment paper. Break graham crackers into large squares and coat the bottom of the tray to create a crust. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a blender, combine avocado, almond milk, maple syrup, sugar, and vanilla. Once creamy, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and raspberries. Slowly add avocado mixture until completely incorporated.
- Pour batter into pan on top of graham cracker base. Bake for 40 minutes, until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean. Baking time can really vary based on your oven strength, so just be sure to check periodically!
- Once brownies are removed from the oven, top with 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Break your chocolate bar into pieces and sprinkle that over top, followed by broken pieces of graham cracker (as pictured here). Add remaining 1/2 cup marshmallows on top to finish.
- Set your oven to broil and carefully place a rack about 8 inches away from the top (in the middle/high area of the oven). Close the door and turn the oven light on. Watching the entire time, broil the brownies for about 2 minutes, rotating if needed so that they become evenly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Slice into nine pieces and serve.
- Category: Dessert