The classic recipe gets an update with nutty sesame seed butter! Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies are packed with dark chocolate chunks and topped with flaky sea salt. They’ll be your new favorite vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Ingredients needed for Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Refined coconut oil
- Brown sugar
- Almond milk
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Dark chocolate
What kind of tahini is best for making cookies?
The best kind of tahini for baking is very runny and thin, without dried clumps of sesame butter. Tahini brands vary widely in terms of taste and texture. Too often, tahini can be very bitter and dry (especially when old). This tahini avocado toast recipe details how to purchase tahini that tastes high-quality.
If you’re looking for a good deal on tahini, I recommend sourcing it online in bulk. Pepperwood Organics is my favorite brand! Be sure to purchase it “hulled,” which means the outer coating of the sesame seed itself has been removed.
How do you keep chocolate chip cookies from going flat?’
As you can see in the photos, this recipe rises nicely and stays pillowy after baking. I recommend these tips:
- Use a combination of baking soda and baking powder. This helps with a sustained rise while baking.
- Pair the leavening agents with brown sugar, which is naturally acidic and helps this reaction.
- Add cornstarch to further bind the ingredients.
- Chill the dough prior to baking. While this is sometimes a nuisance, it helps hydrate your flour. To really maintain the same cookie shape, form them before chilling and chill the entire baking sheet while your oven preheats.
I do know that some people prefer flatter cookies (especially when crispy). If you like crispy chocolate treats, try this recipe for imitation Tate’s cookies.
What is the secret to making soft cookies?
The secret to soft cookies is not much of a secret: just under bake them. In this recipe for salted tahini chocolate chip cookies, we are only baking the cookies for 11 minutes. While they may look underdone when coming out of the oven, they will continue firming up as they cool on the sheet.
What else can I use tahini for (besides hummus)?
While I do love homemade hummus, tahini is incredibly versatile. Here are some other tahini ideas for you:
- Tahini Coffee Shake
- Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- Mint Tahini Yogurt Sauce for Pistachio Falafel
- Tahini Avocado Toast
I hope you enjoy this recipe for salted tahini chocolate chip cookies! Please leave a rating + review if you make them, or let me know on Instagram.Print
Pin this recipe for later: