Have a taste of nostalgia with these Ginger Peach Crumble Ice Cream Floats! Made with sweet peaches, crunchy oat crumble, vanilla ice cream, and ginger beer, they’re a fun but elevated dessert option that can be so easily customized.
Did you have ice cream floats as a kid? I know they were one of my favorite treats growing up. Today’s recipe is a remix of the traditional, using a ginger-infused peach sauce + crunchy granola topping reminiscent of peach crumble. Fizzy ginger beer and foamy vanilla ice cream make this the perfect late summer dessert.
Ingredients for Ginger Peach Crumble Ice Cream Floats
For peach sauce:
- 3 ripe peaches
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TBS grated fresh ginger
- 3 TBS bourbon, optional
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp brown sugar
For oat crumble topping (feel free to sub with pre-made granola)
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 TBS brown sugar
- 3 TBS chopped walnuts (or other nuts, optional)
- Vanilla ice cream, vegan if needed
- 1-2 bottles of spicy ginger beer (or ginger sparkling water, if you’re looking for something lighter)
How to Make Peach Crumble Topping
In a small pan, combine olive oil, oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, and nuts (if using). Let entire mixture toast in the pan until fragrant and golden, about 5 minutes.
How to Make a Basic Peach Sauce
- Add peaches, water, and salt to a large skillet over medium heat. Let cook until bubbling, then mash with a fork slightly, to smooth.
- Add ginger, optional bourbon, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Stir to prevent sticking, if things are cooking too quickly, turn down the heat and add a bit more water.
- Cook for a couple of minutes more, until you have the texture of a thick but soft sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
What is the best ice cream for floats?
Vanilla ice cream tends to be best for floats as it complements all other flavors. For a dairy-free vanilla ice cream, Sunscoop Vanilla Bean Cream is the best. For regular ice cream, Breyers Vanilla bean is a classic option.
Other Creative Ice Cream Float Ideas
- Vanilla ice cream + fresh blueberries + jam + ginger ale
- Vanilla ice cream + fresh strawberries + root beer
- Lemon sorbet + raspberries + sparkling lemonade
- Ginger ice cream + pistachios + ginger kombucha
- Vanilla ice cream + fresh berries + rhubarb shrub
- Vanilla ice cream + espresso (for an affogato)