The Grand Marnier Strawberry Sundae is an elevated dessert that feels fancy but is ready in minutes! Serve the infused fruit over your favorite vanilla ice cream for an elegant and convenient treat. Non-alcoholic options available!
Details and Definitions for Grand Marnier Strawberry Sundaes
Grand Marnier is a French brand of liqueurs, but the most commonly known product (and what we’re referencing here) is the Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge. This is an orange-flavored liqueur made from a blend of Cognac brandy, distilled essence of bitter orange, and sugar. It is 80 proof and has a very forward citrus/spice taste, making it an excellent cocktail addition. The Cordon Rouge was created by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle in 1880.
No – Grand Marnier is an orange liqueur in the curaçao tradition, and Cointreau is a triple sec. Grand Marnier is made from a blend of cognac and triple sec. So, the two share similar orange and spice flavors. Grand Marnier has a richer, sweeter flavor than just plain triple sec, which is why it is often paired with sweeter recipes or drinks.
To macerate a fruit means to soak it in a liquid so it softens slightly. When we macerate strawberries, they break down a bit and release some of their sweet juice. Sugar also assists in this process, lightly sweetening the fruit while it soaks in the juice and alcohol.
Ingredients and Possible Substitutions
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into thin pieces. You can use any kind of berry here!
- 1 TBS orange zest, or lemon zest, grated from the skin of organic citrus
- 1 TBS grated fresh ginger is optional but very recommended
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar, or Turbinado sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 TBS of orange juice, from about 1/2 large orange
- 4 TBS Grand Marnier, or more orange juice for a nonalcoholic version
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve (or strawberry ice cream)
- Basil, optional, to serve (can sub mint)
Like most sundaes, this recipe is very forgiving. If you’re not an ice cream fan, feel free to spoon these strawberries over an Olive Oil Cake instead!
Love strawberries? Be sure to check out this round up of my favorite vegan strawberry recipes!
I hope you love this recipe for Grand Marnier Strawberry Sundaes. Now that summer is really in swing, be sure to check out the rest of my ice cream content here!