Homemade Fruit Roll Ups are a great on-the-go healthy snack made with just three ingredients! No dehydrator is needed for this like classic mango fruit leather.
Fruit Roll Ups: A Nostalgic and Healthy Recipe
I’m a bit fan of nostalgia snacking, or recreating versions of classic “kid foods” with a more adult palate. Most recently I made animal crackers and have also enjoyed peanut butter cheese crackers.
I regularly enjoyed fruit roll ups in packed lunches and I vividly remember the satisfying feeling of peeling and eating it directly off of the roll. Fruit leather is a similar snack, but in bar form. Creating fruit roll ups at home is extremely simple with just three ingredients, some parchment paper, and time.
How to Make Fruit Roll Ups
This recipe could not be much easier, with just 5 minutes of active prep time! I will forewarn that I takes 4-5 hours to bake in the oven, so best accomplished on a day where you are able to stay home for a while. Baking at a low temperature is the key to that perfectly dried texture.
If you have a dehydrator, that may work also. I don’t think this is an item many people have access to, so I haven’t tested it.
Mango is a personal favorite fruit of mine and I happened to have a large bag of in my freezer. After a quick thaw in the microwave, your fruit is ready to use. I added part of a frozen banana for added sweetness as well. In total, you’ll need three cups of fruit.
Depending on how sweet your fruit is, you may need to add more or less maple syrup. A squeeze of lemon juice helps round out the flavors.
A crucial part of making these rolls is insuring that the fruit mixture is entirely flat on the tray. Tapping it a few times on the counter helps!
The final step is a low and slow bake for 4-5 hours at 170 degrees F.
Homemade Fruit Leather Flavors
The nice thing about this basic recipe is that it will work with a variety of fruit types. A key is to insure that you’re using a fruit that’s rather fibrous, which will help the leather hold together. Here are some flavor combinations I think would work:
- 2 cups strawberries + 1 cup pineapple
- 1 cup banana + 2 cups mango
- 2 cups kiwi + 1 cup mango
- 2 cups peaches + 1 cup blueberries
I hope you enjoy these healthy fruit roll ups! Be sure to let me know in the comments or on Instagram if you give them a try.
Looking for other packable snacks? Try one of these recipes next!
- Customizable Energy Balls (no food processor required)
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Rosemary Spiced Nuts
Fruit Roll Ups
- Total Time: 305 minutes
- Yield: 8 strips 1x
Homemade Fruit Roll Ups are a great on-the-go healthy snack made with just three ingredients! No dehydrator is needed for this like classic mango fruit leather. Vegan, gluten-free, and no sugar added!
- 3 cups mango, thawed if frozen (see above for other fruit suggestions, just be sure the total is three cups)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Combine all ingredients in high speed blender and mix until fully incorporated. Add a few tsp of water if needed to help things along. Preheat your over to 170 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Spread fruit mixture on top in a very thin and even layer. Tap the sheet on the counter a few times to ensure it’s even.
- Bake for 4-5 hours until no longer tacky. Let cool on sheet. While still attached to the parchment, use scissors to cut into long strips 1 inch wide. Roll into a coil and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 300 minutes
- Category: Snack
Pin this recipe:
Leave a Reply