Try a new twist on dinner with this Sweet Potato Pizza Crust! Gluten-free and vegan, this simple crust is easy to make and very versatile. Just 6 ingredients required!Â
- 1Â and 1/4 cup sweet potato mash, from about 1 large (you can keep the skin on if you’d like)
- 2Â TBS ground flax + 6 TBS water (this will act as your “flax egg”)
- 3/4 cupÂ whole wheat flour (feel free to sub Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free flour here if needed)
- 2Â TBS chickpea flour, or more other flour of choice
- 1 tspÂ baking powder
- 1 tspÂ sea salt
- 1/2 tsp each dried oregano and basil (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine flax meal and water. Set aside. If you haven’t yet, the quickest way to cook your potato is to stab it with a fork a few times and microwave for 6-8 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Let cool for a few minutes and carefully scrape out flesh inside. You should have about 1 and 1/4 cup of mash. Feel free to chop up the skin (if organic) and use that in the mixture also!
- Add sweet potato mash to bowl with flax egg and stir together. Add flours, baking powder, sea salt, and optional spices to a separate large bowl and combine. Slowly begin adding sweet potato/flax mixture into dry mix, incorporating evenly with your hands. It will take a few minutes but will come together. Place dough ball on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place a second piece of parchment on top and, taking your rolling pin or large glass, begin rolling into a circular pizza shape, about 1/4 inch thickness. Once finished, remove top piece of parchment and save for later. Bake your crust for 8 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and place reserved piece of parchment on top.
- Sandwiching the parchments together, flip so the bottom part of the crust is now on top (this can also be accomplished by simply flipping the pizza over with a spatula, but sometimes the extra paper comes in handy).
- Remove top piece of parchment and bake for another 8-10 minutes.Remove from oven and decorate with your desired toppings. Broil for a couple of minutes before serving; I hope you enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 196 calories
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Sodium: 39.4 milligrams
- Fat: 2.4 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.1 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 39.6 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 6.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: pizza, crust, sweet potato