This hearty Grilled Veggie Party Sub is the perfect packable sandwich or hoagie option! Toasted ciabatta bread is full of roasted peppers, grilled zucchini, and a homemade sun-dried tomato pesto for a filling, healthy, and delicious meal. Ready in under 30 minutes!We’re keeping things short and sweet today, since summer is the time for simplistic meals. Although this summer looks a little different (many less get togethers), having easy meals that are ready in under 30 minutes is SO important to me. And of course I’ll jump at any opportunity to use up fresh summer veggies!
This Grilled Veggie Party Sub would be a perfect packed lunch for a picnic or socially-distanced beach visit. It’s full of tangy flavor from a homemade sun-dried tomato pesto and loaded with hearty grilled veg. Let’s get into it!
Ingredients Needed for this Grilled Veggie Part Sub
- Sun-dried tomato pesto (recipe below): this provides most of our flavor and is equally delicious on pasta.
- Ciabatta bread: a classic loaf with a rustic feel that’s perfect for feeding a crowd
- Grilled veggies: Any bounty of your summer harvest works here, but I’m specifically including peppers, mushrooms, and squash
- Balsamic dressing: to marinate the veg
- Cheese: vegan if needed
- Salad greens: for fresh crunch
Of course, the ingredients listed above are very flexible. Regular pesto from the store or even a roasted red pepper dip would be delicious in place of the sun dried tomato version. Any kind of grilled vegetable could work, including green beans, onions, or eggplant. Additionally, instead of sliced cheese you could add a ricotta spread or even hummus.
I hope you enjoy this fun summer sandwich! If you’re looking for more picnic-ready eats, try one of these recipes next:
This recipe was inspired by Half Baked Harvest. I hope you enjoy it, please leave a comment and rating if you do!Print
This hearty Grilled Veggie Sub: the perfect packable sandwich or party hoagie option! Toasted ciabatta bread is full of roasted peppers, grilled zucchini, and a homemade sun-dried tomato pesto for a filling, healthy, and delicious meal. Ready in under 30 minutes!
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil ( )
- Handful of walnuts, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup vegan parm or parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup basil or parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the marinade
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- zest of one lemon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
For the sandwich
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, sliced thinly into strips
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 portobello mushroom, cleaned, de-stemmed, and sliced into strips
- 5 slices provolone cheese, vegan if needed
- 2 cups salad greens
- Prepare your pesto by combining sun-dried tomatoes, nuts, and cheese in a blender, pulsing to combine. Stream in oil and blend to emulsify. Add one cup herbs and salt and finish processing until a thick paste forms (it will be chunkier than usual pesto). Set aside.
- Combine ingredients for marinade in a large rectangular resealable container. Set aside.
- One your vegetables are prepared, add to container and shake to coat. Let sit for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours. Preheat grill, grill pan, or cast iron skillet over medium high.
- While veggies are marinating, toast your bread in either a toaster oven or in the regular oven under the broiler, cut side up.* Remove one golden and spread thickly with sun dried tomato pesto, adding at least 1/2 cup of the pesto per side of bread. Preheat grill, grill pan, or cast iron skillet over medium high.
- Proceed to grill vegetables to your liking, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Assemble rest of sandwich by topping pesto-covered bread with cheese, grilled veggies, and salad greens. Press halves together firmly and slice into 4-6 personal sandwiches.
*You could also grill the bread if you’re using a full-size grill!
This recipe will keep covered in the fridge for four days.
- Category: dinner