This Pesto Tomato Toast Tartine is a such a fresh summer recipe! With creamy hummus, bright herbs, juicy heirloom tomatoes and tangy feta, it’s satisfying and delicious for any time of day. A great way to use farmer’s market produce!
Tomatoes are at their peak right now in the U.S.! I debated a few different recipes for highlighting them. I considered a quiche, a tart, ratatouille, and flatbread. However to be honest, simple meals are still my favorites these days! Tomatoes + herbs + bread for the win.
What are heirloom tomatoes?
The name “heirloom” in this variety refers to the tomato seeds. These seeds come from generations of tomatoes that are valued for certain characteristics (shape, flavor, etc.).By selecting the best fruits each season, farmer are able to continually produce those sam desired characteristics. Often times these tomatoes are “open-pollinated,” which means they receive pollination from birds, insects, wind, or human hands. Unfortunately, this term has been commercialized in more recent years and does not have a very strict definition in the gardening world. If you’ve ever eaten a grocery store tomato and found it a watery mess, you know what I mean. Click here for more information on types of heirlooms.
What are the best tomatoes for tomato toast?
Growing your own tomatoes is unsurprisingly the best way to yield quality flavor every time. This is of course much easier if you have a yard, but I’ve read some helpful information on growing tomatoes in pots. The next best bet will be purchasing tomatoes from a farmers market, where the growers themselves can often give you tips on different varietals. Look for tomatoes that have a strong aroma and a firm skin. Be sure to store them on the counter when you get home (never in the fridge!).
This Pesto Tomato Toast Tartine combines all of my favorite summer flavors. Hummus adds a bit of protein, while salty feta adds tang. Cucumber and fresh herbs add a lot of brightness, which is perfect for a hot day.
I hope you enjoy this it! If you’re in the mood for more tomato recipes, try one of these next:Print
This Pesto Tomato Toast Tartine is a such a fresh summer recipe! With creamy hummus, bright herbs, juicy heirloom tomatoes and tangy feta, it's satisfying and delicious for any time of day. A great way to use farmer's market produce!
- Olive oil
- 1 large slice country style crusty bread
- 2 TBS hummus
- 1 TBS pesto (optional )
- 2 TBS feta cheese, vegan if needed ((Violife has a vegan feta at Whole Foods))
- 1 small heirloom tomato, sliced into rounds
- 3 thin cucumber slices, cut into quarters
- Sea salt, flaky if you have it
- Handful of fresh soft herbs for topping, I used basil, parsley, and mint
- Heat your cast iron skillet or grill pan to medium and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Toast bread until golden and slightly charred on both sides. Alternatively, toast bread in the toaster.
- Spread hummus and then pesto on top of toasted bread. Sprinkle with feta cheese and layer tomato and cucumber on top. Sprinkle with flaky salt. Add herbs of choice and a small drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy immediately.
- Category: dinner, lunch, Snack