This Peach and Tomato Caprese Salad is jam-packed with fresh summer flavors including juicy heirloom tomatoes, bright peaches, fragrant basil, and creamy cashew mozzarella cheese. It’s a wonderful appetizer or side salad for any summer cookout, easily made vegan!
Love peaches? Be sure to check out this roundup of all my favorite peach recipes!
What makes something caprese?
How is caprese pronounced?
While some people pronounce this Cah-preh-zee, the proper pronunciation is “Cah-preh-zeh”.
Origins of Caprese Salad for this Peach Tomato Caprese Recipe
The salad is unsurprisingly Italian in origin, specifically the island of Capri. A traditional Caprese salad is comprised of slices of heirloom tomato, leaves of fresh basil, and slabs of fresh mozzarella cheese, seasoned with olive oil and salt. A popular origin story states that it was inspired by the colors of the Italian flag (which has three thick horizontal stripes of red, white, and green).
This recipe is not an “authentic” interpretation of caprese, simply an inspired take! Instead of using just heirloom tomatoes, we are incorporating fresh peaches and cherry tomatoes for more textural and flavor variety. Instead of using a traditional mozzarella cheese in slices, we’re serving this salad with a creamy, cashew-based “ricotta” that perfectly complements the acidic fruits.
Ingredients Needed (Including Vegan Options)
To season the salad, you’ll make a quick dressing composed of:
- 1.5 TBS high quality balsamic vinegar
- 4 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- A few twists of black pepper
For the base of the salad, you’ll need:
- 2 or 3 large, ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 ripe peaches (white or yellow)
- 1 batch prepared vegan ricotta, or 1 cup ricotta cheese (tips for preparation listed below!)
- Fresh basil and parsley to garnish
How to Make Peach and Tomato Caprese Salad
- First, shake balsamic, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper in a sealed jar to create the dressing.
- Then, slice tomatoes and peaches into rings and layer on a large serving tray. Spoon vegan ricotta into the center of the dish
- Drizzle the entire tray with the dressing and garnish with fresh herbs to serve immediately.
Tips for Making this Recipe Ahead
I do not recommend making this entire recipe ahead of time, as tomatoes will droop and the peaches will oxidize. However, if you’re making vegan ricotta, this can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge 1-2 days before you plan to prepare the rest of the salad:
To make your own vegan ricotta, blend 1/3 cup cashews, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, and a splash of water in a high-speed blender until smooth.
What to Serve with Caprese Salad
This recipe can easily be enjoy on its own with a knife and fork. Here are some bread-y pairing ideas:
Other Recipes to Celebrate Heirloom Tomatoes and Basil
- Creamy Sweet Corn Pasta with Basil and Tomatoes
- Pesto Tomato Toast Tartine
- Easiest Tomato Basil Soup
- Grilled Veggie Party Sub with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Whipped Ricotta Tomato Toast
- Vegan Tomato Soup
- Cherry Tomato Pasta alla Vodka
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please be sure to leave a rating + review if you give it a try!Print