Look forward to lunch with these three healthy ideas for tofu meal prep! Served with brown rice and broccoli, these easy recipes are customizable and totally vegan. Prepping tofu has never been this delicious!
What is tofu?
Tofu, also known as bean curd, is a food made from coagulating soy milk and then pressing the curd into patties of various densities. Some common types of tofu include silken, soft, firm, and extra firm. Tofu originated in China and has been eaten there for 2,000 years. It is a very common ingredient in meatless recipes as it is high in protein.
The Ultimate Guide to Meal Prepped Tofu:
Having tofu prepared for the week is a useful and versatile idea guaranteed to make lunch and dinner planning much easier.
The keys to great meal prepped tofu include:
- Flavorful sauces (like peanut, sesame, and orange)
- Quick preparation time (30 minutes or less)
- A hearty and satisfying texture (I don’t like when it’s mushy)
What kind of tofu should I buy for meal prep?
While all kinds of tofu have their uses, the most versatile for meal prep are firm and extra-firm. These styles have less water so they hold their shape more easily when sautéd, marinated, or baked.
Tofu Meal Prep: The Benefits of Time Saving Meal Hacks
Who isn’t looking to save time these days? It’s an easy way to add protein and fiber to whatever I am serving. Whether it’s a quick lunch or basic weeknight dinner, Minute Ready to Serve Rice ensures I have healthy options available at all times. Not to mention that it’s ready in less than 2 minutes!
Another large plus of meal prepping is that it typically requires fewer trips to the grocery store (better for the planet, too!).
In today’s tofu meal-prep recipe I’m using Minute Ready to Serve Brown and Wild Rice as a side. I really like the classic flavor with a bit of variation. The texture pairs perfectly with chewy tofu and hearty streamed broccoli. Be sure to save some of the sauce for drizzling! It’s also MSG-free with no preservatives, non-GMO project verified, and vegan/vegetarian!
I’m sure that another steamed vegetable (like green beans) would be equally delicious. Feel free to experiment and use your favorite veggie or whatever has been lying around in your freezer.
Featured Sauce Flavors for this Tofu Meal Prep
To keep things takeout-inspired, we’re using three fairly familiar sauces. I’ve paired them down to their most essential ingredients!
- The first option is a Creamy Peanut Sauce, the heartiest of our offerings. It’s the same sauce I use in my Peanut Quinoa Salad.This one may just be my favorite.
- Secondly, we have a Sticky Orange Sauce for our tofu. This one is bursting with bright citrus flavor and is remarkably similar in flavor to classic orange chicken.
- Finally, we’re trying a Sesame Garlic Glaze. This version is perfect for fellow garlic fans, as it can also contain a kick of heat from red pepper flakes!
How To Cook Tofu for Meal Prep and Make it Taste Good
- One of my ultimate pet peeves is underdone tofu. No one wants to eat mush! The first and most important step is to be sure you press your tofu to extract as much water as possible before preparing. This insures chewiness and structural integrity.
- Then we broil the tofu before sautéing it in a pan with a flavorful sauce.
- Finally, serving elements are key to a well-rounded plate! Brown and Wild Rice insures a balanced meal for any time. For more tofu tips, read my in-depth tofu guide.
I hope you enjoy these healthy tofu meal prep ideas! Please let me know in the comments or on Instagram or Pinterest which you plan to try first. These tofu meal prep recipes would also be delicious on top of sesame noodles!