Make these vegan quinoa beet burgers and they’ll hold their own at any BBQ! They are gluten-free and full of plant protein. Top with mango and avocado!
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 TBS flaxseed meal + 5 TBS water (set aside in small cup, or sub egg if not vegan)
- Olive or coconut oil for pan
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 beet, scrubbed and chopped into large slices
- 4 large Medjool dates, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 TBS corn meal
- Whole wheat buns, avocado slices, mango, and salad greens for serving
- Add quinoa to a small pan with 1 and 1/2 cups of water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let quinoa cook until all water is absorbed (15-ish minutes). Remove from heat and stir with a fork to “fluff.” Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- With your vegan egg set aside, add about 1 TBS of oil into a cast iron skillet. SautÃ© onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until fragrant. Add this to your food processor along with quinoa, beets, dates, walnuts, salt, cayenne, cumin, and corn meal. Pulse thoroughly until combined. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preferences.
- Stir flax egg into burger mixture. Add a little oil back to your skillet (or use a grill pan if you have one), and heat to medium-low.
- Using a 1/3 cup measurement, scoop out patties and form into circles with your hands. Place a few at a time onto skillet and let cook for 5-6 minutes per side.* If adding cheese, do so a few minutes before removing burgers from heat.
- Serve on a bun with avocado, mango, and arugula. Easily frozen for meal prep!