This Vegan French Onion Dip will be a new party favorite! Served in a bread bowl, the entire recipe is ready in just 30 minutes and is perfect for feeding a crowd. Totally plant-based and a great game day appetizer!
Caramelized onion is one of my absolute FAVORITE flavors.
It is delicious in so many items – pizza, sandwiches, soups, and salads all benefit from this umami-laden treat.
Have you ever tried french onion dip? I have never been a fan since often any salty/savor onion flavor is bogged down by bland sour cream. But not today! Today we are caramelizing our onions so they are NICE and toasty, before adding to a totally plant-based spread that is lightened up with a base of hummus.
Always stuck bringing the hummus + veggies tray to a party? Mix it up with this dip, I guarantee your friends won’t be disappointed!
How to Caramelize Onions for French Onion Dip
We are using one large onion here, and to save time we are dicing it into rather small pieces that will brown quickly. To caramelize an onion, sauté it in a cast iron skillet with olive oil over low heat, stirring frequently to insure it does not stick. Salting throughout the process will help draw out even more flavor.
Caramelizing draws out sugars from the onion, transforming it from tear-inducing to irresistible.
Looking to speed up this process? A pinch or two of brown sugar help move things along.
How to Make a Bread Bowl
This may just be my favorite part of the recipe.
To save time, we’re starting off with a pre-made sourdough boule. After slicing off the top inch of the loaf, you’ll use your hands to scoop out large crumbs of bread from the inside, taking care to leave a thick-enough skin as a wall.
To take this bowl from good to great, lightly coat the inside and outside of it with olive oil. Feel free to do this with your large crumb pieces as well.
We’ll toast everything in the oven for 20 minutes to make it nice and crispy. No soggy bread around here!
I hope you enjoy this french onion dip! The bread bowl was so fun to create, I know it will be a hit at your next party or game day. If you give it a try, be sure to let me know in the comments or on Instagram.
Looking for more vegan Super Bowl Recipes? Try one of these!
- Mini Tacos
- 3-Ingredient Vegan Queso
- 10 Easy Vegan Appetizers
- Garlic Knots
- Rosemary Spiced Nuts
- Chocolate Covered Popcorn
- Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers
This Vegan French Onion Dip will be a new party favorite! Served in a bread bowl, the entire recipe is ready in just 30 minutes and is perfect for feeding a crowd.Totally plant-based and a great game day appetizer!
For the Bread Bowl
- 1 small sourdough boule
- 3 TBS olive oil
For the French Onion Dip
- 1 large yellow onion (about 1 1/2 cups diced)
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp brown sugar, optional
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1–3 TBS water
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- Parsley to serve, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Carefully slice 1 inch the top off of your boule and cut into cubes. Using your hands, scrape out the inner bread pieces in large chunks so that a 1/2 inch wall remains inside the bowl. Coat the inside and outside of the bowl with olive oil. Coat the bread cubes/crumbs in olive oil as well. Place bowl and cubes/crumbs onto a baking sheet and toast for 15-20 minutes, until browned.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 2 TBS olive oil over medium/low. Add onion and being to sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add rosemary, optional brown sugar, and garlic. Continue to cook, stirring often, until mixture resembles above photo (glossy and brown). This took about 20 minutes for me. Add a splash of water if things are cooking too quickly. Set aside.
- In a high speed blender, add onion mixture, maple syrup, cashews, hummus, water, and lemon juice. Blend on high until combined. If needed, drizzle in more water until desired texture is achieved.
- To serve, spoon dip into bread bowl and place on a tray with toasted bread cubes and chips. Top with parsley if desired.
Pin this Vegan French Onion Dip: