This flexible recipe for a Flaky Berry Galette works with any kind of berry! With the BEST flaky pie crust, we’re using fresh fruit for a rustic-inspired dessert that is perfect for a spring or summer table. Easy to make with simple ingredients and vegan!
Fresh berries are one of my favorite parts of spring and summer. I enjoy having them in recipes like strawberry shortcake, strawberry limeade, olive oil cake, and berry-glazed muffins. I wanted to create a dessert recipe that would work well with any kind of berry you may have on hand. This casual galette is the perfect solution for a simple way to celebrate fresh produce!
What is a berry galette?
Simply put, a galette is a more relaxed pie. What makes a galette so perfect for low-key baking? The beauty lies in its “rustic” sensibility. Still comprised of an exceptionally flaky crust and perfectly sweetened fruit, a fruit galette is constructed entirely on a sheet tray (with no crimping or pie pan needed). I love the flexibility this offers. It does not matter if some fruit leaks out or if your edges are not even. As a bonus, you are still able to stack a lot of filling inside the crust borders.
How to Make a Galette
- First, create an all-butter pastry. I used vegan butter which has a slightly higher liquid concentration, so notes are provided below if you decide to use this version. Regular unsalted butter works well also.
- While letting the dough rest in the fridge, create a quick berry filling on the stove. This helps condense the juices of your berries so that they do not leak all over the sheet tray. This also makes this recipe adaptable with fresh or frozen fruit.
- Finally, roll the chilled pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet, fill berries in the center, and fold over the edges. After a quick brush with coconut milk and a topping of crunchy sugar, it’s ready for the oven.
If you prefer savory galettes, I also have a recipe for a Vegan Asparagus Ricotta Galette!
What is lamination in pastry dough?
Lamination is the process of creating a series of folds in your pastry dough through successive motions known as “turns.” This is demonstrated in the video linked below. Instead of rolling dough into one large circle, to laminate you roll the dough once and then fold a portion of it back up onto itself (as if you were folding a piece of paper). This folding will create very thin layers of butter that will expand nicely in the oven into a shatteringly flaky crust.
If you’ve worked with pastry dough before, you may be familiar with the concept of “cutting” your butter into small crumbs. This helps incorporate fat into your flour so that you have an even mixture to work with. With lamination we instead use a rolling pin to literally roll “sheets” of butter into the flour.
How to Make Flaky Vegan Pie Crust
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, salt, and flour together. Dump onto a clean work surface. Carefully cut your butter into long rectangular pieces crosswise and pile on top of the flour mixture.Begin rolling your butter into your flour. Add 2 TBS ice water.
- Shape dough into a rectangle on the work surface. Moving from the left side of the dough, fold 1/3 of it inwards on top of itself. Do the same with the right side. Imagine you’re folding a piece of paper. Rotate the dough 90 degrees, sprinkle with a bit of flour and roll into the originally shaped rectangle. Repeat this once more.
- Chill the dough for at least an hour prior to rolling out, or freeze for later use!
Another great feature of this recipe is that it can work with a wide variety of produce, depending on what season or region of the world you live in. As mentioned above, berries are an obvious choice for spring. Some other fun ideas include:
- Rhubarb (of my all-time favorites)
- Peaches or plums
- Tomatoes & cheese, for a savory take
I hope you love this easy berry galette recipe! I know it will be on repeat in our house. Please let me know what fillings you try in the comments below! I will be happily eating this with some yogurt for breakfast.
Love berries? Be sure to check out this round up of my favorite vegan strawberry recipes!
Want more uses for your pie crust? Try one of these recipes next:Print