This Thai Peanut Butter Bagel is a totally unexpected lunch option that you’re going to love! We spread crunchy peanut butter onto a toasted bagel with mild jalapeño jelly, sliced cucumbers, and shredded carrots. Satisfying and so flavorful!
What, what is a Thai-inspired bagel?
A Thai-Inspired Peanut Butter Bagel is a toasted sandwich topped with peanut butter, jalapeño jelly, cucumbers, carrots, green onions, and mint. It’s important to note, this recipe is not actually from traditional Thai cuisine. Like at all. The flavors and ingredient combinations present here are very similar to what Western culture has come to associate with Thai food (namely, “Thai peanut sauce).” This unique and varied cuisine of which I love learning about — today’s recipe is not authentic Thai food.
The recipe below is actually inspired by a lunch I had at Los Bagels in Eureka, CA. I actually wrote about it in my Northern California Road Trip Guide! It was listed as a “local favorite” and I was so curious, as I had never seen this combination of flavors on a sandwich before. Typically, it is very challenging to find a truly satisfying vegan bagel that’s not made with hummus (as much as I love hummus). This one felt unique and easy to prepare.
Ingredients in this Thai PB Bagel Sandwich
- 1 sesame bagel: Sesame is a natural flavor pairing for Thai food but I have also made this with a plain bagel and it’s just as tasty.
- Peanut butter: I prefer crunchy PB that is always made from just peanuts and salt.
- Cucumber: I recommend a smaller Persian cucumber as they’re “single serve” and you’ll only need to slice one. A regular English hothouse cucumber also works (but you’ll need fewer slices as they will be larger).
- Jalapeño jelly: Contrary to what you may assume, jalapeño pepper jelly is often times not spicy! If you prefer spicy, seek out a specific recipe where that is labeled on the jar. While I love spicy foods, I actually liked the mild flavor of this jelly since it reminded me of a remixed PB&J.
- Shredded carrots: Pre-shredding your carrots can cause them to try out, so be careful if you’re grating your own. I find the bagged shredded carrots form Trader Joe’s last a little while in the fridge, which is convenient!
- Green onion: This added a mild bite and some addition flavor on top of the carrots.
- Optional mint, cilantro, or sesame seeds: For more garnish!
Ways to Customize this Recipe
- Almond butter is an easy substitute for peanut butter, if that’s what you prefer or have on hand.
- If you like things spicy, be sure to look for a jalapeño jam or jelly with this on the label!
- Thinly sliced bell peppers or pea shoots would be easy to add.
- Any kind of bagel will work (well, maybe not cinnamon raisin).
More Peanut Butter Main Meal Recipes
More Thai-Inspired RecipesPrint
Thai-Inspired Peanut Butter Bagel
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This Thai Peanut Butter Bagel is a totally unexpected lunch option that you’re going to love! We spread crunchy peanut butter spread onto a toasted bagel with mild jalapeño jelly, sliced cucumbers, and shredded carrots. Satisfying and so flavorful!
- 1 sesame bagel (or bagel of choice, gluten-free as needed)
- 2 TBS peanut butter
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced thinly (or 5 slices from an English hothouse cucumber)
- 1 1/2 TBS jalapeño jelly
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- Other optional garnishes: mint, cilantro, or sesame seeds
- Carefully slice and toast the bagel. Spread with peanut butter. Lay cucumber slices on top of peanut butter, slightly overlapping to cover the entire surface.
- Dot jalapeño jelly on top of cucumbers. Sprinkle with shredded carrot and green onion slices.
- If desired, top with mint, cilantro, or sesame seeds. Best enjoyed immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size: 1 recipe
- Calories: 593.8 calories
- Sugar: 21.5 grams
- Sodium: 705.9 milligrams
- Fat: 20 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.6 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 17.4 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 87.1 grams
- Fiber: 9.9 grams
- Protein: 19.5 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: thai, bagel, peanut butter, lunch
Unexpected and wonderful combo-thanks, GH!
Thanks for trying it!!